What's new

Turning 3G into iPod+phone

yober

Reaction score
Was wondering if turning my old 3G into a phone without a data plan is workable? I have a 5 now and want to hand the phone off to my son, but don't want to shell out stupid money for a data plan he doesn't need. Does he need one to download/update apps?

Also, what's a good primer for iPhone security, so I can keep him from downloading all the naughty bits?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

yober said:
Was wondering if turning my old 3G into a phone without a data plan is workable? I have a 5 now and want to hand the phone off to my son, but don't want to shell out stupid money for a data plan he doesn't need. Does he need one to download/update apps?

Also, what's a good primer for iPhone security, so I can keep him from downloading all the naughty bits?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Can the 3G use wifi? I have the iPhone 4S and use wifi most of the time - it's like a free data plan. I only use my Verizon data plan when out of the house and even then it's rare due to wifi networks all over the place.

Have your son use iTunes, it's the safest way and his items will follow him on future devices.

It's possible. But you'll have to block off all data in's and out's for that number/SIM, then plug the SIM into the 3G assuming the carrier on the 3G and the one that your son is using is the same.