What's new

Trouble with photo stream?

I can now confirm that 20% battery does in fact turn off photo stream. It also seems that you can only delete a photo across all devices if you use iPhoto under OSX or delete it from the photo stream of the iOS device that uploaded it. But I need to do more testing to be 100% sure.

I can now confirm that 20% battery does in fact turn off photo stream. It also seems that you can only delete a photo across all devices if you use iPhoto under OSX or delete it from the photo stream of the iOS device that uploaded it. But I need to do more testing to be 100% sure.
yes,i thought there had to be something in the battery theory.

But Apple doesn't tell you the battery factor in any of it's update readme's. Aaaargh!
It also seems that you can only delete a photo across all devices if you use iPhoto under OSX or delete it from the photo stream of the iOS device that uploaded it. But I need to do more testing to be 100% sure.
Deletion from Photo Stream from within an iDevice itself isn't possible at all. A delete button for PhotoStream only appears in iPhoto on your computer.

Last edited:
Another interesting unexpected aspect of PhotoStream deletion happened yesterday when I did something by accident. There's a moment after iPhoto has imported photos from your iPad or iPhone where it asks you if you want to "keep the photos" on the iDevice or "delete" them. I accidentally hit delete photos when I normally always say keep. These photos were taken over an hour before and had already propagated to photo stream. But choosing the delete option after the import to iPhoto was complete also deleted them from photo stream. ?!?

Up to this point no deletion from photo stream has been working for me at all. But in this little mishap - this was the first deletion I've ever experienced from photo stream.

Can anyone else confirm this?

pianoman said:
But Apple doesn't tell you the battery factor in any of it's update readme's. Aaaargh!Deletion from Photo Stream from within an iDevice itself isn't possible at all. A delete button for PhotoStream only appears in iPhoto on your computer.

You are not on the official iOS 5.1 release then. Because that feature was added last year in the 5.1 betas. I have been using it for over four months. The only issue they had during the betas was propagating the delete across all devices. They fixed the iOS 5.1 side when the final was released with the launch of the iPad (3rd Gen) but didn't finish the server side code until two weeks later. And iPhoto wasn't fixed until two weeks ago.

You are not on the official iOS 5.1 release then. Because that feature was added last year in the 5.1 betas. I have been using it for over four months. The only issue they had during the betas was propagating the delete across all devices. They fixed the iOS 5.1 side when the final was released with the launch of the iPad (3rd Gen) but didn't finish the server side code until two weeks later. And iPhoto wasn't fixed until two weeks ago.
Ah yes. You are correct. I'm Jailbroken on 5.0.1. So in 5.1 there's a delete button on our iDevices too in the PhotoStream window? Great! I will wait for the untethered jailbreak before upgrading to 5.1. But good to know that PhotoStream delete is now something that will both initiate and propagate across all devices.

Or are you saying, though now a feature in 5.1, and all fixed since 2 weeks ago, that it's still not working?

Last edited:
Ah yes. You are correct. I'm Jailbroken on 5.0.1. So in 5.1 there's a delete button on our iDevices too in the PhotoStream window? Great! I will wait for the untethered jailbreak before upgrading to 5.1. But good to know that PhotoStream delete is now something that will both initiate and propagate across all devices.

Or are you saying, though now a feature in 5.1, and all fixed since 2 weeks ago, that it's still not working?

5.1 now works as expected across all devices. IE iOS and OSX. I have not tested PhotoStream control under Windows.

The only test I haven't had time to do is taking a picture on my Phone, letting it propagate to all my devices, wait a few days and then delete it from say my wife's iPad. I know if I delete it from the device that took it or iPhoto, it will delete across all devices. But I want to see if a "non-originating" device can also cause a delete across all photostream storage.

I found a photo that was nine days old. It was taken in my iPhone 4S while on 3G. It then auto synced when I got home a few hours later. I just deleted it on my wife's iPad (3rd Gen) tonight. It deleted it from both iPads, both iPhones and the iMac in under 20 seconds.

I think it works as expected.

Same here.

iPhone (A) Took Photo a few days ago
iPhone (B) Deleted Photo
iPhone (C) was deleted from
iPhone (A) was deleted from

I also repeated deleting photos from (C) and the same thing happened on (A) and (B). To me in my household using Photostream it appears to work like explained. I normally delete photos from my iMac after importing into iPhoto so this was a cool experiment. ;)

just an update,my photo stream is working fine now across my three devices,thanks for the info on deleting photos everyone,I'm sure its going to be very useful to the members.

Good to know it is now implemented as anyone would expect. Looking forward to a 5.1 untethered JB now.

So Skull - you share a single AppleID between all those devices? I could NEVER share an ID with my wife. Our calendars, photo needs, etc are TOO different. :)

I can also confirm now that deletion from PhotoSteam in iPhoto on your Mac - will delete across iDevices on 5.0 or 5.0.1. SO -- deletions from OSX will propagate to iOS 5.x. But as Skull points out - you need 5.1 on your iDevices to have a delete button appear in the PhotoStream window.

Last edited:
Good to know it is now implemented as anyone would expect. Looking forward to a 5.1 untethered JB now.

So Skull - you share a single AppleID between all those devices? I could NEVER share an ID with my wife. Our calendars, photo needs, etc are TOO different. :)

I can also confirm now that deletion from PhotoSteam in iPhoto on your Mac - will delete across iDevices on 5.0 or 5.0.1. SO -- deletions from OSX will propagate to iOS 5.x. But as Skull points out - you need 5.1 on your iDevices to have a delete button appear in the PhotoStream window.

I would never use an Apple ID to handle my Contacts or Calendars. Personally, I feel that is the very first mistake every iOS users makes.

The Apple ID is only useful for Photostream, Find my iOS device and the App store. On occasion it might be useful for Reminders and Notes but that usage is rather limited in my opinion.

The very first thing I do with every single iOS beginner is setup a Gmail account and import all their existing data into Google's ecosystem. Then I properly setup the Gmail account for push and confirm proper syncing. The second thing is then to setup an Apple ID and explain why you only use it for three I mentioned above.

I have 6 devices total synced to my Apple ID. 5 of them are on iOS 5.1 and the last is on 3.x due to it being an iPod Touch 2nd Gen. I have zero issues with my configuration and at a moments notice I can switch all 6 devices out to the Android OS and have them properly configured in less than 3 minutes each. Oh and that includes having them all synced to my Android library of Apps which is still larger than my iOS library of Apps.

I would never use an Apple ID to handle my Contacts or Calendars. Personally, I feel that is the very first mistake every iOS users makes.

The Apple ID is only useful for Photostream, Find my iOS device and the App store. On occasion it might be useful for Reminders and Notes but that usage is rather limited in my opinion.

The very first thing I do with every single iOS beginner is setup a Gmail account and import all their existing data into Google's ecosystem. Then I properly setup the Gmail account for push and confirm proper syncing. The second thing is then to setup an Apple ID and explain why you only use it for three I mentioned above.

I have 6 devices total synced to my Apple ID. 5 of them are on iOS 5.1 and the last is on 3.x due to it being an iPod Touch 2nd Gen. I have zero issues with my configuration and at a moments notice I can switch all 6 devices out to the Android OS and have them properly configured in less than 3 minutes each. Oh and that includes having them all synced to my Android library of Apps which is still larger than my iOS library of Apps.
You maybe inferred too much from my statement. I too use Google for Calendars. Best out there for most applications I need. But Google Contacts and iOS are NOT AT ALL happy bedfellows. I would NEVER recommend Google Contacts to a new iOS user. Riddled with problems -- well documented problems on many a forum.

I too am able to be "up and running" on a new iOS device in under 15 minutes.

I do also keep ONE iCal calendar synched from my Apple ID - because Google doesn't allow more than one alarm for a calendar event in the iOS environment (when creating the event in iOS). That's a problem for me for things like 'recurring tasks' for which I need multiple alarms (which Tasks/Reminders in iOS also won't allow repeating events with multiple alarms).

Finally, Google calendar implementation (for multiple calendars {delegates}) operating in iOS also doesn't allow invitation sending and receipt. That's a non-negotiable for me. I have to have invitations and multiple alarms on calendar events working in my calendars implementation. In iOS currently - only iCal (Calendar) offers both and then of course you need AppleID to sync.

But I am a GIANT fan of Google Calendar implementation in general.

Last edited:
I never use anything for calendars. I use the Reminders app which is synced with iCloud email.

I have heard of too many problems from using google cal with contacts and what not.

Now I just use iCloud.

Settings> iCloud> toggle contacts and whatever else on. Nothing else needs to be done, but to enable iCloud when your first setup your device.

Tho I only use 3 iDevices, my mothers iPad, my iPhone, and iPod 4G.

But Everything between all 3 devices stays completely in-sync with each other with no problems at all.

Like i said....nothing to configure...just make sure iCloud is enabled, and toggle on what you want backed up. Done. Could not be more simple then that.lol.

IMO, anyone that uses google cal and contacts to sync with their iPhone with no problems at all must be a person that is extremely computer literate.lol. I too would never recommend those services to a new user.