What's new

Transferring to new iPhone

cirac2004

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some wisdom from expert iPhone users about my predicament. I have just bought a new iPhone - and unfortunately chose to register the phone as a new iPhone rather than one as backup of the old iPhone. Thus most of my data (text messages, photos and progress in most games) are not on the new iPhone. I still have the older iPhone and am wondering what I should do to ensure that the new iPhone can get all the necessary data through iTunes? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

G'day & welcome to the forum!!! :)

Not sure how to transfer if it's possible but if you have the old iPhone details still saved or available on backup then it's perhaps possible?

This forum's best and brightest will know.

Right click in the device in iTunes. Scroll down to restore from backup and choose the backup file that was last synced with the old phone. Voila!

OOO i got soo excited!! thort this was the answer to my problem! [all my goodies on my 3gs(io5) wont trans onto my 2nd hand iphone4(4.3.3)] Plugd ip4 in scrolled dwn and Voila...just the new fone was there...sob!

Hey iCrank - thank you so much for the solution. It worked! Just had to go through the phone again to delete duplicates! Everything is back! Woo hoo!

cirac2004 said:
Hey iCrank - thank you so much for the solution. It worked! Just had to go through the phone again to delete duplicates! Everything is back! Woo hoo!

You're welcome

PhoenixRising said:
OOO i got soo excited!! thort this was the answer to my problem! [all my goodies on my 3gs(io5) wont trans onto my 2nd hand iphone4(4.3.3)] Plugd ip4 in scrolled dwn and Voila...just the new fone was there...sob!

Have you tried transferring purchases and backing up?

I'm having the same issue. The old phone wouldn't charge, so I went ahead and activated the new one, through iTunes, before backing up the old. Now, I want my data off the old 3G, now that it's managed to charge some after 5 days. I synced it, but an option to us the old data doesn't appear to be available on the new phone....just the original backup that happened on activation.

What folder is the backup data stored in? If I could go in and delete the new backup of the new 4G, perhaps it would have no other choice but to refer back to the old 3G phone data. Any help would be much appreciated.