What's new

Transferring data to a new iPhone

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
I finally succumbed and replaced my iPhone 5 (don’t judge me) with the XR. I’m trying to transfer all of my data to the new phone. I connect to my PC and I thought it had transferred my photos but I’m not sure. It shows 2,900 photos transferred but it seems to have stalled at a screen that says “looking for new photos and videos.” It won’t move past that.

What do I do now to complete the transfer of photos or move past this screen? My PC isn’t plugged in. Does it have to be?
Will the process transfer my contacts or do I have to manually reenter my contacts?

If you still have trouble, let Apple help you. You have support with them on a new iPhone for at least a year (I think).

Ok, I thought I successfully got my data to my new phone but now there is a screen showing a charge cord that looks like it should plus into an iTunes logo with support.apple.com/iPhone/restore on the screen. I’ve rebooted the phone but it won’t go away. I could try plugging it back into my PC tomorrow???

You’re going to have to connect the iPhone to your computer. Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer? The screen showing on your iPhone means you’ll have to restore your iPhone. Do you have a recent backup you can use as the restore will erase everything on the iPhone.

I finally succumbed and replaced my iPhone 5 (don’t judge me) with the XR. I’m trying to transfer all of my data to the new phone. I connect to my PC and I thought it had transferred my photos but I’m not sure. It shows 2,900 photos transferred but it seems to have stalled at a screen that says “looking for new photos and videos.” It won’t move past that.

What do I do now to complete the transfer of photos or move past this screen? My PC isn’t plugged in. Does it have to be?
Will the process transfer my contacts or do I have to manually reenter my contacts?

As my Apple Macintosh G4 computer has been obsolete and unsupported since c.2003, I successfully transferred all my data from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone X via iCloud.