What's new

Transferring apps from one account to another

darweshs

Reaction score
Is it possible to do so? what if I just copied all the app files and pasted them back into iTunes after changing my account on the computer?

No can do. All App Store apps are tied into one specific Apple ID. They can't be transferred. Sorry.

Marilyn

What you would do is on computer authorize other account for that computer. So you computer is authorized to play both accounts. Then you can sync apps from both accounts to your phone using the same computer as before.

My wife and I both have our own accounts and each of our instances of iTunes have authorized each others accounts for that computer. So I can sync her apps and she can sync mine. Just becomes a pain when you update an app via the cell phone when updates come out as trying to do all at once usually fails if the apps for updating are for each account. So have to do one at a time or just have them update via iTunes and sync.

What you would do is on computer authorize other account for that computer. So you computer is authorized to play both accounts. Then you can sync apps from both accounts to your phone using the same computer as before.

My wife and I both have our own accounts and each of our instances of iTunes have authorized each others accounts for that computer. So I can sync her apps and she can sync mine. Just becomes a pain when you update an app via the cell phone when updates come out as trying to do all at once usually fails if the apps for updating are for each account. So have to do one at a time or just have them update via iTunes and sync.

Yes, this is doable, but this is different from what the OP asked (or, at least what I understand the OP asked). You can put apps from a different account onto the phone, just as you described here with your sharing with your wife. But, you have to continually log in and out of the two different accounts to do the updates; you still have two separate Apple IDs. It's a bit of a hassle, as I am sure you've discovered.

What I believe the OP was asking was whether apps could be merged into one - as in, have only one Apple ID where there were two before. And, the answer, AFAIK, is still no - Apple will not (can not?) allow this. I've heard of people asking Apple for this functionality, but I've not heard whether Apple ever merged those accounts.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Still, effectively the same thing. You are trying to make the owning Apple ID a different one than the Apple ID that purchased it. Can't be done, for Apple's reasons (which are unknown to us).

Sorry for the word confusion.

Marilyn

You can gift apps from one account to another account, if the app is not for free, the account gifting the app will have to pay it and then gift it to the second account. That's the only way i know you can transfer apps from one account to another account.

bab2010 said:
You can gift apps from one account to another account, if the app is not for free, the account gifting the app will have to pay it and then gift it to the second account. That's the only way i know you can transfer apps from one account to another account.

Yeah but that's the same problem. I already have all of those apps, Fifa, need for speed shift2 unleashed, NSF hot pursuit, and a hell lot more.