What's new

Thinking about jailbreaking: Preliminary questions

iniesta

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been thinking about jailbreaking my iphone 4 (5.0.1), but I'd like to ask some questions first, before I decide whether the risk is worth it. My apologies if these questions have already been posted somewhere on the forum - if that's the case, perhaps someone might like to direct me to the appropriate thread. :)

1. Springboard crashes - how often would these happen? Is it common to have to restore to factory settings and start from scratch as a new iphone, once such crashes happen?

2. Would there be any problems or issues, if a jailbroken iphone is backed up on itunes? Would itunes be able to continue backing up my Apple App Store downloads/purchases safely? Or would there be issues/problems doing so?

3. If I want to undo the jailbreak, would there be any issues or problems, if I restore the iphone to factory settings, and then reinstalling the backed up jailbroken version of the iphone from itunes?

4. How common is it, for jailbreaking to mess around with the phone's wifi connection and preventing the phone from accessing a wifi network?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. :)

Welcome to iPF.net!! :)

1. Springboard crashes are protected by a program called Mobile Substrate that comes along when you Jailbreak. Any time there's an issue Mobile Substrate will kick on and protect your phone... then give you the option to restart or "Respring" the springboard.

2. After your iDevice is utilizing a Jailbreak it is still fully useable w/ iTunes. No issues will come up regarding your purchases or backups due to the Jailbreak.

3. Removing the Jailbreak is as easing as restoring from your backup via iTunes or restoring as a New Device via iTunes, which ever you choose at that time.

4. It's uncommon for a Jailbreak to play fits with your Wifi connection. Normally if you're having any issues w/ the normal operation of your iDevice after a Jailbreak... it's due to a corrupt step in the process. Restore your iDevice and make sure you're using the latest updates for the Jailbreak as well as getting the program and IPSW from a trusted source.

Hopefully that's put a good spin on your questions. Anything else... don't hesitate to ask. :)

Last edited:
Hey... thanks for responding so promptly.. :)

Thank you for asking these questions. I was searching for answer to question 2 about you ITunes after the jailbreak. I jailbroke my iPhone 4 iOS 5 last week and didn't dare connect to ITunes.
I though maybe there was another program to do this....this forum is great.. Thanks.

Thanks for helping out guys... I've just decided to go ahead with it... Now searching for tweaks to install...