What's new

The Music Thread

I prefer Gangster Rap and Hip Hop. The heavier the bass, the better.

I listen to a lot of other stuff too, I just don't drive around blasting those other types when I have the system up and the windows down.

It is said that if anyone only possesses 11 albums, one of those albums will be Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. Since I possess many multiples of that number, it's no surprise that I have it. It's a beautiful album. It was written and performed by a tightly-knit group, who could practically feel each others thoughts and moods.

Fast forward to Tusk, a cocaine-fuelled adventure in self expression and I think we have the piece that Fleetwood Mac will be remembered for in 200 years time. It cost a phenomenal amount of money to produce. The personal lives of the performers were in tatters; marriages and relationships of many years standing were in ruins, but somehow Lindsey Buckingham and the band managed to put together a masterpiece. Mick Fleetwood once said that the band is a rhythm section (himself and John McVie) accompanied by anyone who could handle being a part of something that is bigger than any musician. Watching the band on stage shows the different characters at play. Mick and John look totally relaxed, enjoying themselves hugely. Christine McVie doesn't appear to be putting too much effort in and lets the keyboards do the work, her crystal clear voice filling the moment when called upon to do so. And then Buckingham and Stevie Nicks put on a performance that screams of desperate, unfulfilled love, an opportunity missed, a moment passed. The passion of their performance speaks volumes. They seem not so much to be singing to each other, as pouring out their hearts to each other, and all the time with a realization that there is no going back, that what has gone, has gone...forever.

Fleetwood Mac is one of the great bands, yet somehow flies under the radar. Many of the people who have the 11th album would forget to mention the band if they were called upon to name their top ten. For me, they are up there with Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Pink Floyd etc. THE greats, those who cannot be, and never will be, replaced, those who musical history will never forget.

What do you do if your husband has received half of the payment for a commission and dies halfway through the composition?

Mozart was already ill when he received the commission from Count Franz von Walsegg, who wanted a requiem to celebrate the anniversary of his wife's death. He took the job, and an up-front payment, but remarked to Constanze that he felt that he was writing the work in preparation for his own death. Mystery surrounds the death of Mozart at the age of 35, but Constanze had a problem. The Count was looking for a completed piece of music and the composer was no longer able to produce.

So Constanze found a solution, in the form of Franz Xaver Süßmayer, who completed the work from notes written by Mozart and memories of conversations with the composer. Whether the Count ever became aware that his Requiem wasn't written entirely by Mozart, I have no idea, but it seems that Constanze was paid, and history recognizes both composers so all's well that ends well.

I'm presently listening to the Berliner Philharmoniker's presentation of the piece from Deutsche Grammophon's "History of Classical Music"

In years to come, 2016 may not go down as a particularly terrible year. Our musical heroes are getting on a bit and I guess we have to realize that time catches up with us all in the end.

Right now, 2016 does seem to have carried off some of the finest musicians. Here are a few that I will miss.

Prince

David Bowie

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake

Rick Parfitt

Neville Marriner

In years to come, 2016 may not go down as a particularly terrible year. Our musical heroes are getting on a bit and I guess we have to realize that time catches up with us all in the end.

Right now, 2016 does seem to have carried off some of the finest musicians. Here are a few that I will miss.

Prince

David Bowie

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake

Rick Parfitt

Neville Marriner

While they may be gone, their music remains to entertain and inspire us.

Musicians never really die. They live forever as music.

– Dr. Robert Ford, Westworld