What's new

Texting via my car

lewbar

Reaction score
I've had a windows phone for years, made the mistake of buying a Samsung S6 when Verizon decided not to carry quality Windows phones anymore, and I do NOT like the S6 at all. I"m going to get rid of it very soon and am looking at the Iphone 6S. My car radio would alert me when I had a text and I could read it (read to me) and I could respond while driving, without having to stop the car and look at my phone. The Samstunk S6 will not do that. Sorry for the long story but will the Iphone S6 be able to do that?
Thanks for any help as the local Verizon store has no idea if it will or not.

image.png
Yes, but...

You need a vehicle with CarPlay.

So, the "Okay Google, show me my last text message", "Read it" and "Reply" commands would not work on the Samstunk, I take it?

EDIT: that sounded a bit more sarcastic/confrontational than I intended - sorry. I meant, did you try enabling Google Now to see if it meets your needs while driving?

Last edited:
Thank you...I did not take it as sacastic at all because to me the Galaxy is a joke anyway. But yes, I have tried that, had the Verizon saleperson (who has the same phone) come out to my car and show me how it works but it did not work the way it was intended. Honestly I think there is an issue with the phone but no one at Verizon agrees with me so I cannot send it back under warranty. Regardless...it doesn't have the texting capabilities I like. The S7 does, but I"m not happy with the Galaxy line at all so I would rather do something else.
Again, I do thank you

Do you have an Apple Store close enough to visit? You don't have to go to Verizon for any possible warranty service. The Genius Bar at any Apple Store has better diagnostic equipment than any Verizon store. If they determine that there is a problem with the iPhone, you can get it repaired or replaced under warranty even if Verizon thinks there's no problem with the iPhone.

No...don't have an Apple store within 150 miles, besides, I don't yet have an Iphone, I"m looking at purchasing one which is why I asked that initial question on this post. I have an issue with a Samsung Galaxy S6, so for that phone, I do have to go to a Verizon store or deal with Verizon on-line.
Thanks for your reply, it just doesn't help with this particular issue.

Time to update the car.;)

But not all "carplay" is created equal, unfortunately. Example:

On my Pioneer AVH-4000 NEX with Carplay, I am *not* alerted to new/incoming texts via any tone/message/etc. The ONLY way you know you have something new is if you are on the carplay "home" screen and look at the Messages icon and see the little "number". then you have to tell Siri to read messages, or push the messages icon for it to detect/read.

On the Kia 2017 Sorento with Carplay, however, it will alert you that you have a new text and you can (again) use Siri or the icon to play it back for you.

So unfortunately not all Carplay is equal (I would've thought given Apple's lockdown on everything that it would be, but it's not).

That's why he said update the car, not update the car's radio. Apple CarPlay on my Honda does do this.