What's new

Shortcuts/Widgets/Custom Icons

lsedels

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. Just bought an iphone X after many years of owning Samsung Androids. I had a brief stint with an iphone 6p a few years back, but decided to return it to Verizon and opted for the S6 instead. I'm hopefully back to the iphone now, but I have a question that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I understand the appeal of the iOS and the iphone ... this is why I am trying it again. For me, it gives me the itunes integration with my car and I am hoping to see improved battery life (which I found to be consistently poor with Samsung).

In the Android OS, if you want to have a shortcut Contact icon or widget (enables you to just click on the icon on the desktop to dial or text someone), it's really simple to do. And it's a tremendous convenience ... you have these icons on your home screen, you open up and click right on the one you want to dial, and it immediately dials out after basically one click/swipe. It is hard for me to fathom that Apple hasn't managed to incorporate this kind of feature into iOS yet (I actually found the 6p to have the same issue) especially with a top-of-the-line $1000 phone.

From what I can gather, it is possible to do this type of thing from within Safari ... but am I correct in saying that you cannot do this for non-web-based iOS apps like phone direct dials? And that the closest thing is to add "Favorites" within the Phone app ... and then you must enter into the phone app, choose your favorite, and then dial? Is there any way to create a desktop shortcut to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This hasn’t changed. There’s no way to create a shortcut to one or more of your contacts on your homescreen.

There were apps that helped with doing what you’d like to get, but the ones I could find, have been updated more than one year ago, so I guess the developers don’t support them any more.

It’s possible, if you add favourites, to get them to your Today View, and then it’s possible to make calls from there:
930E728F-DADE-4184-9A00-20FE60036E7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope. Widgets are probably the only thing I miss about Android phones, and it's been years since I've had an Android. I'm sure Apple can do it, easily, but don't for whatever reason. I prefer iPhone in every way, but I sure do miss widgets.

This hasn’t changed. There’s no way to create a shortcut to one or more of your contacts on your homescreen.

There were apps that helped with doing what you’d like to get, but the ones I could find, have been updated more than one year ago, so I guess the developers don’t support them any more.

It’s possible, if you add favourites, to get them to your Today View, and then it’s possible to make calls from there:
View attachment 39881
Thank you for your reply!

Nope. Widgets are probably the only thing I miss about Android phones, and it's been years since I've had an Android. I'm sure Apple can do it, easily, but don't for whatever reason. I prefer iPhone in every way, but I sure do miss widgets.
Thank you for your reply!

Also I think with the new iOS 12 which is coming out shortcuts will be a feature :)

That would be great! It's about time!