What's new

custom shortcut buttons

GregMulhern

Reaction score
Hello friends! I would like to have a custom button on my iPhone6 to take me to my personal website. Safari allows me to create said shortcut but doesn't permit me to edit the button itself. I found two third-party sites to almost get me there -- but not quite. One permits me to use one of their button images to which I can add my shortcut address. The other permits me to create a button with my own png and text but does not allow me to enter my shortcut address, rather, it is to replace the button for any given app already installed. Can anyone help me use my shortcut addy with a button I create? Thanks for your consideration.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

It was possible to change the Home Screen bookmark icon, some time ago, but that doesn't work any more. I also don't know apps that could help.

If it's your own website, there's something else you can do to get a different icon:
Give Your Website an iOS or Android Home Screen Icon

Thanks, this is EXACTLY what I need EXCEPT it isn't working for me.
I created all the different sizes, from 57 to 180, and saved them on the server. I added the LINKS as so clearly described. I then went on my iPhone via Safari to my website, selected Add to Home Screen, and ShaaZam, when I went to my Home Screen it has a new app button with the picture of the front page of my website. Touching it takes me to my site appropriately . . . given what I've described, what must I have done wrong?
I've gone to the server and viewed each of the images, they come up correctly. They're in the same folder as my index file. I checked the source code - no typos.
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="180x180" href="1_button_180.png" />

Take a look at her this app:

Touch Icon Creator by Makoto Setoh
Touch Icon Creator on the App Store

You can make any URL you wish (can copy/paste if need to). Also, you can add a photo to make the icon as you wish.

This works to make homescreen icons for web pages, phone contacts, text contacts, etc. Granted, it's not been updated since 2013 but it worked just now as I tested it before replying.

Maybe it'll do what you wish?

Marilyn