What's new

Texting goes through email?

mike1

Reaction score
Lately when I text someone, they tell me it's going through my email account instead of the normal text? It shows up as my email acct name rather than the usual name with my iphone.

Lately when I text someone, they tell me it's going through my email account instead of the normal text? It shows up as my email acct name rather than the usual name with my iphone.

Here's what you need to do.
1) go to settings.
2) scroll down to messages
3) scroll down to received at
4) scroll down to caller ID
5) make sure your phone number is ticked. This will now send through your phone number rather than your email.
If you ever decide its better through email go through the same procedures.

Hope that helps.

iHolophyte

Here's what you need to do.
1) go to settings.
2) scroll down to messages
3) scroll down to received at
4) scroll down to caller ID
5) make sure your phone number is ticked. This will now send through your phone number rather than your email.
If you ever decide its better through email go through the same procedures.

Hope that helps.

iHolophyte

OK I tried that. My phone number is greyed out and has "ERROR" in front of it and below that is my email address. I even tried removing the email address but it doesn't let me.

OK I tried that. My phone number is greyed out and has "ERROR" in front of it and below that is my email address. I even tried removing the email address but it doesn't let me.

Maybe a hard reset is required then to remove the error. As obviously there is one. Hold down the home button and the button on top of your phone for 10 seconds until the apple logo appears then let go. It will now hard reset. Once done go back into your message on settings and see if your number is still greyed out. Let us know.

iHolophyte

Hard reset didnt work. And why won't it let me delete the email?

Hard reset didnt work. And why won't it let me delete the email?

I'm stumped now then. You can't delete your email as this is what's hooked up to your apple ID account. You should though be able to change to number. Through the processes I spoke about. I think someone will need to chip in at this stage and add what's needed.

iHolophyte

Not sure if your texts are going to a person who has an iPhone or not, but if it is,

Go into your message settings. Turn iMessage off. then turn it back on, a pop up will appear wanting you to enter your iMessage password, click CANCEL. Do NOT log in. Problem solved.

Not sure if your texts are going to a person who has an iPhone or not, but if it is,

Go into your message settings. Turn iMessage off. then turn it back on, a pop up will appear wanting you to enter your iMessage password, click CANCEL. Do NOT log in. Problem solved.
OK I'm sending these messages to more than one iphone. When I turn off iMessage, then turn back on, no prompt to enter an iMessage password. However, I've noticed as long as iMessage is turned off, it sends as my name and not my email...i.e. as it should normally.

OK I'm sending these messages to more than one iphone. When I turn off iMessage, then turn back on, no prompt to enter an iMessage password. However, I've noticed as long as iMessage is turned off, it sends as my name and not my email...i.e. as it should normally.

Ninnjinn is correct. When you turn off iMessage and turn straight back on it pops up your apple ID with the request to put in your apple ID password. I've just tried it. It then says waiting for activation and then activates. You have got an apple ID set in this phone haven't you?

iHolophyte

OK I just tried turning it off then right back on. There is no Apple ID request, it goes straight to "waiting for activation". The says "Imessage can be sent between Iphone, Ipad and Ipod touch...Learn more...
Question, is this something that can be fixed with a resinc in Itunes?

OK I just tried turning it off then right back on. There is no Apple ID request, it goes straight to "waiting for activation". The says "Imessage can be sent between Iphone, Ipad and Ipod touch...Learn more...
Question, is this something that can be fixed with a resinc in Itunes?

Yes I would suggest you hook it up to iTunes. At the top click the tabs and locate. Authorise. Also make sure on the left its recognised your iPhone. Then back at the tab click the tabs and look for sign in, or sign out and see if it's set at signed in. If its not sign into your account so it syncs this to your phone. To me it sounds like your phone is not synced to iTunes and your apple ID. Can you downloads apps from the app store? Does it come up with your apple ID and password request when you go to download an app? Try it on a free one.

iHolophyte

Yes I would suggest you hook it up to iTunes. At the top click the tabs and locate. Authorise. Also make sure on the left its recognised your iPhone. Then back at the tab click the tabs and look for sign in, or sign out and see if it's set at signed in. If its not sign into your account so it syncs this to your phone. To me it sounds like your phone is not synced to iTunes and your apple ID. Can you downloads apps from the app store? Does it come up with your apple ID and password request when you go to download an app? Try it on a free one.

iHolophyte
I am signed in to itunes. I downloaded an app from store just fine. This is becomming stranger and stranger. I may have to contact Apple support. Anyone have a contact number?

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm having the same problem. Under message settings I click receive at and my phone number isnt even listed. No pop up when I turn iMessage on either. I'd love to know if you ever got this figured out.