What's new

Synching issues with iphone

detlefchef

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been discussed, I took a quick look to see if there was a thread that discussed it and couldn't find anything. Not saying that I looked hard enough, but whatever. Here goes.

Both my wife and I had iphones before taking an ill-fated detour into a pre-paid Boost program using a droid. Hated it and now are back, swaddling ourselves in the warm blanket that is the iphone. At any rate. At some point, all our contacts got jumbled together, so when we backed up to our old settings, we both ended up with a bunch of stuff that neither of us wanted. We have both since deleted all the unwanted contacts and apps and would both like to now establish these new settings with our respective computers. To keep things tidier, she downloaded itunes on her PC lap top, so she is no longer plugging into my Mac desktop to synch her phone. We also established a new itunes account for her.

I'm afraid to plug my iphone into my computer until I get this resolved, because I don't want it backing up to the old and far-too-big contact list that awaits me on the computer. Is there a way to sponge all the settings on the computer and then drop in what I've got on my phone? I have it set up just the way I want right now and would love for this to be the new default. Same for her.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you have resolved all the files issues and everything else what you can then do is go and delete the backup and then let it create a new backup of your device with your current settings so you then dont have to worry about plugging into the desktop and letting the mac add a bunch of files and contacts you really dont want.

Also just to add on a mac you click on the top where it says "Itunes" then preferences and then click on "devices" and there will be all of your backups and just delete them...

It might take a while to backup again but you will then be sure that it only has a backup of your files and adata

detlefchef said:
Forgive me if this has been discussed, I took a quick look to see if there was a thread that discussed it and couldn't find anything. Not saying that I looked hard enough, but whatever. Here goes.

Both my wife and I had iphones before taking an ill-fated detour into a pre-paid Boost program using a droid. Hated it and now are back, swaddling ourselves in the warm blanket that is the iphone. At any rate. At some point, all our contacts got jumbled together, so when we backed up to our old settings, we both ended up with a bunch of stuff that neither of us wanted. We have both since deleted all the unwanted contacts and apps and would both like to now establish these new settings with our respective computers. To keep things tidier, she downloaded itunes on her PC lap top, so she is no longer plugging into my Mac desktop to synch her phone. We also established a new itunes account for her.

I'm afraid to plug my iphone into my computer until I get this resolved, because I don't want it backing up to the old and far-too-big contact list that awaits me on the computer. Is there a way to sponge all the settings on the computer and then drop in what I've got on my phone? I have it set up just the way I want right now and would love for this to be the new default. Same for her.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah....delete any backups and if you have any email accounts on your phone, like iCloud for example, just turn on contacts for those email accounts. That way way you can still backup the contacts you have without retiring to an iPhone backup. I basically have everything on my phone backed and I never ever restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup.......and never ever will. I always setup as new device every time. And as soon as I add my yahoo email account, in which I have Notes turned on, my notes load into the notes app as soon as that email account is loaded after I added it, and turned on Notes.

Same thing with contacts. In settings> iCloud I have toggles on , Contacts, Reminders, and bookmarks. That way my contacts are loaded as long as I have those toggled on in iCloud. And all this is backed up without using iTunes horrible backing up system. Now my settings are not backed up like with an iTunes backup, that is what usually causes problems.

I highly recommend you always setup as new device and just use email accounts to backup your contacts, and just setup all your settings manually. It's a little extra configuring but it makes a much motte stable device, which is my over all goal.