What's new

Speaker Issue

navjon

Reaction score
the iphone4 has got two speaker outlets, but recently i noticed in mine that sound only comes through the right side one, and the left one is feeble or like a dummy.

how do i resolve this? are there any options to switch on/off the left/right speakers which i could have missed out on?

its strange that i started noticing the speakers only lately, but i do find a dot on the top side of my phone next to the headphone slot, which i assume to be the michrophone.

No, that would mean that the microphone was near your ear, and the speaker was near your mouth...

The microphone is the left one, the speaker is the right hand side one... so you don't have a problem with your iphone. So that's a good thing :)

it is kinda tricky how they make the mic look just like the speaker but i think they did it so it looks cleaner and nicer, but craigfoot is right the left one is the mic and the right one is the speaker so your good.

$iphone details.JPG ;) i should have opened this when i got the phone

but i do find a dot on the top side of my phone next to the headphone slot, which i assume to be the michrophone.

That little dot is the light sensor. Which ties in with the automatic screen brightness.

The little dot on the top is a second mic used in the noise canceling circuit. The light sensor is on the top front of the iPhone under the glass.

The little dot on the top is a second mic used in the noise canceling circuit. The light sensor is on the top front of the iPhone under the glass.

Perhaps a bit off-topic here, but do you know where the "proximity sensor" is located on the front of the iPhone. The manual and the picture-link above doesn't ID it. I'm thinking it's above the "metal screen" speaker on the top-front. Correct?

Perhaps a bit off-topic here, but do you know where the "proximity sensor" is located on the front of the iPhone. The manual and the picture-link above doesn't ID it. I'm thinking it's above the "metal screen" speaker on the top-front. Correct?
You are correct sir.

I believe the proximity sensor is what poco described as the light sensor. You could see it in certain lights on the 3GS but I can't see it on the 4G. I think it's on the opposite side of the speaker to the front camera...

I believe the proximity sensor is what poco described as the light sensor. You could see it in certain lights on the 3GS but I can't see it on the 4G. I think it's on the opposite side of the speaker to the front camera...
Gaz

The light sensor and proximity sensor appear to be one and the same, or at least very close together, and it is directly above the ear speaker. The camera lens is to the left of the ear speaker.