What's new

I'd also like to add that the only reason I want to install Skype is to be able to text message my American friend (I'm from Australia) for free. The call feature isn't important.

I'm a real Skype fan and user, but if your primary use is only texts and you want to be certain you're not going to use your data plan, only WiFi, then you might want to consider one of a couple of other free options.

Check out TextPlus (or Text+) and TextMe.

xChase said:
Is there a way to tell if an app is using my wifi or my 3g connection?

Just turn the data off and see if it uses the wifi. When I was in S Korea, I kept my phone on airplane mode with the data off and only used wifi. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Hi i am Santosh,
First switch on your wifi then if there is wifi signals you will find a connection then then tap it your wifi will be connected then Then you can use your wifi only if your problem is solved prly me i too have a problem

I'd also like to add that the only reason I want to install Skype is to be able to text message my American friend (I'm from Australia) for free. The call feature isn't important.

im fairly certain the text message service on skype is one you have to pay for , unless im mistaken anyone ?

hitcher said:
im fairly certain the text message service on skype is one you have to pay for , unless im mistaken anyone ?

If you are sending to another Skype user using Skipe the text or chat service is free.

xChase said:
Thanks! And alright cool, but why are there two apps for Skype "Skype" and "Skype WiFi"?

The Skype Wifi is for using various pay wifi hotspots like in airports and hotels ect. It uses your Skype credit to pay for the use of the hotspot.

Thanks! And alright cool, but why are there two apps for Skype "Skype" and "Skype WiFi"?

I use Skype a lot on my iPhone to chat with my son in Vancouver every Sunday, it is a God sent app, but I think Skype WiFi is more about looking for WiFi connections in your area.

If you are sending to another Skype user using Skipe the text or chat service is free.

Can you text to a Skype user number though? I thought it was a one way thing? IE You could send out from Skype but not receive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Can you text to a Skype user number though? I thought it was a one way thing? IE You could send out from Skype but not receive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

I don't have any Skype number, I use Skype contacts and I do not have any subscription, I do have a Skype credit which I use when I want to ring landline overseas numbers and the calls are usually quite cheap.

I don't have any Skype number, I use Skype contacts and I do not have any subscription, I do have a Skype credit which I use when I want to ring landline overseas numbers and the calls are usually quite cheap.

Yeah I have an actual Skype number that could be handy if I am out of the country - that way I can go Skype/WiFi instead of getting scalped by ATT's roaming fees. When I was in Canada last fall for a funeral for 4 days my phonebill jumped by an extra $105. Now with the Skype number I can use WiFi, skip roaming and talk to for 2 cents a minute. Looks like I Text+ would be used as you can text Canada with domestic rates.

But I don't think anyone can text my Skype numer - just call it.

Looks like the Skype App was updated yesterday - hopefully that will fix any recent bugs re: iOS5. It the first update in awhile so I'll sure grab my copy from the appstore and test-fire it.

Yeah I have an actual Skype number that could be handy if I am out of the country - that way I can go Skype/WiFi instead of getting scalped by ATT's roaming fees. When I was in Canada last fall for a funeral for 4 days my phonebill jumped by an extra $105. Now with the Skype number I can use WiFi, skip roaming and talk to for 2 cents a minute. Looks like I Text+ would be used as you can text Canada with domestic rates.

I travel at least once a year and when I am overseas or at the airport or in my hotel room where I can access WIFI, I make heaps of calls using my Skype credits through wifi to ring relatives on landline back home and it is quite cheap and I do not get any roaming fees charged.