What's new

xChase

Reaction score
Hi, I've had my iPhone for about 2 days and it's the first one I've ever owned (I got the iPhone 4s). Anyway, I have a 2gb limit on what I can download, but if I'm connected to my WiFi hotspot it doesn't use that limit. I want to only use Skype when I'm at home, and I was just wondering if the Skype app will use my 2gb 3G usage, or if it will use my WiFi? Thanks.

I'd also like to add that the only reason I want to install Skype is to be able to text message my American friend (I'm from Australia) for free. The call feature isn't important.

Hey Chase... welcome to iPF.net!! Any time you're connected to WiFi your phone will not use data from your 2GB... no matter what application you're using.

Thanks! And alright cool, but why are there two apps for Skype "Skype" and "Skype WiFi"?

Thanks! And alright cool, but why are there two apps for Skype "Skype" and "Skype WiFi"?
Chase... that one I'm not sure about. You'd have to read the details for each application. I'm at work so I can't look up the details, but I assume the "WiFI" will have more features that makes the experience better than what you can do over 3G.

Is there a way to tell if an app is using my wifi or my 3g connection?

If you're actively connected to WiFi... wither it be from an app, Safari or whatever, 3 curved bars will take the place of the "3G".

Ah yep I see them now, thanks for the help mate!

If I was to leave Skype signed in and I left my wifi hotspot, would it use downloads?

If I was to leave Skype signed in and I left my wifi hotspot, would it use downloads?
I would say yes... unless there's a setting where it will only connect if you're on WiFi. I've never used Skype, so I don't know for sure. I do know, however, that it does continually search for the active connection. So, if you're using WiFi and lose signal it'll automatically connect to your 3G.

Well there's an auto sign out option so I guess I'll just use that. Ty.

Yeah, that Skype Hotspot app is great - used it at a couple of airports on a recent vacation and worked just fine hooking me into their service there.