What's new

Simpsons: Tapped Out crashing problem on jailbroken iPhone.

Ericskooky

Reaction score
Hello! I have an iPhone 5s which was jailbroken on 7.0.6. Everything was working great and one day, my Simpsons Tapped Out game begin crashing instantly upon opening. I'm talking within a half second. I tried everything I could think of, reinstalling, rebooting, nothing worked. Contacted EA and they just told me to try the normal basic stuff and nothing helped. I finally did a complete wipe and restore, which of course made me put in 7.1.2. Re-jailbroke, installed all my apps and it was working again perfectly.

About a week later, the same exact thing happened. I contacted EA again but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I would consider wiping again but not only is it frustrating to have to do, but now I will be forced to use iOS 8 which I obviously don't want to do. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I tried Crash Reporter back on 7.0.6 and it would just tell me that nothing was causing the issue. I wasn't sure how else to use it besides that. I apologize if this is on the wrong forum but I figured it might be related to the jailbreak or perhaps there is a tweak that could help it be repaired. Thanks in advance.

Open up Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data, and look for the time and date stamp that matches a crash with the name of the app in the title. Then copy-and-paste the first 30 or so lines in a post below or through a paste medium such as PasteBin.

That's a perfect copy and paste. Thanks.

From the error report, your device is getting a bad data dump from the app, and iOS is halting the app because of it. If the issue just occurred after recently updating, then it would most likely be the implementation of 'exception' in their Xcoding. In layman's term, "they done goofed" with their coding.

If this was spontaneous, where the app hasn't received an update in a while and it just recently started to act up, it's most likely a Cydia package issue conflicting with aspects of what the app calls on. If this issue occurred after you've restored your device, and you haven't installed anything on your device, then it's the app's issue, most likely not the device's issue. If otherwise, then both may be the culprit.

The app does update around once a month or so and this started to happen about a week or two after the last update. Before I wiped the phone I did a regular restore and that did not fix it. I had to do a full wipe and restore and it was fine before and after jailbreak for about another week. I also tried (before full wipe) to boot the phone in cydia's safe mode but it still would not run. Would that be the equivalent of uninstalling any tweaks that might be the cause? If not, should I just go through my list and uninstall all tweaks one at a time?

The app does update around once a month or so and this started to happen about a week or two after the last update. Before I wiped the phone I did a regular restore and that did not fix it. I had to do a full wipe and restore and it was fine before and after jailbreak for about another week. I also tried (before full wipe) to boot the phone in cydia's safe mode but it still would not run. Would that be the equivalent of uninstalling any tweaks that might be the cause? If not, should I just go through my list and uninstall all tweaks one at a time?

It's similar but not identical. But the tweaks that would conflict with it would be dependent on Cydia Substrate, so it's a decent emulation of the scenario. I guess you can accompany the entire crash report to the developer so they know the specifics.

I tried removing as many packages as I could, respringing after each was uninstalled, and still no luck. I'll try to send them the logs and see if it gets me anywhere. Thanks so much for your help!!

I tried removing as many packages as I could, respringing after each was uninstalled, and still no luck. I'll try to send them the logs and see if it gets me anywhere. Thanks so much for your help!!

Last ditch effort: Restore your device, set up the device as new, do not restore your backups, do not jailbreak the device, just input your wifi and AppleID on setup. Pull the app from the AppStore, and see if you're experiencing issues. That's as vanilla as you can get when attempting to troubleshoot without an XCode console. If it's still crashing, then it's app related and not device related (possibly).

It's not worth restoring the phone at this time and taking the risk of being stuck with iOS 8. I'll just wait for them to get back to me and send them my crash log, or an app update, or perhaps when iOS 8 gets jailbroken I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

To the best of my knowledge, as of this moment, iOS 7.1.2 is still being signed alongside iOS 8.0 for all devices that support both firmware versions. The window of which this is the case is every so slowly getting smaller and smaller. But of course, that's up to you, it's a bit of a hassle having to restore left and right and if the developers actually focused on functionality rather than monetary values, cases like these definitely would occur less.