What's new

Signal strength, Data, Battery & Cydia issues!!!

jose21

Reaction score
Sorry this will be long but I have several issues, some of which are tied together which is why I didn't break them up into separate posts.
Let me preface by saying I run iOS 4.2.1 on baseband 1.59.00 on my iPhone 4. It's unlocked with Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 and jailbroken with Greenpois0n 1.0 RC6.

So here we go. When I turn my cellular data and 3G on and try to check my mail, surf Safari or check Facebook, etc, I constantly get the 'Could not activate cellular data network' error even though I have 4-5 signal bars and have a 3G signal. I have gone to my service provider and ensured everything is set up correctly. Sometimes it works after about 5 mins of trying but generally I have to reset the iPhone by holding the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until I get the Apple logo to come up and let the phone reboot because nothing else works (network settings reset, respringing, regular reboot, etc).

Another issue is that when the phone does actually connect to the network (maybe 30% of the time) and 3G does work, I loose all but one bar of my signal strength. As soon as I turn 3G off, the signal returns to 4-5 bars. For the last week, if I stayed online with one bar for more than a few minutes it would actually dump the signal all together and it would say 'NO SERVICE' in the signal strength area. Again, doing a reset is the only way to restore the signal and sometimes I have to do it multiple times back to back for even that to work. All of these issues occur on a daily basis, most of the time they happen multiple times a day and it is extremely annoying. Especially when I really need to access something that requires an Internet connection. All this started slowly after I upgraded to 4.2.1 via Tiny Umbrella. At first it just happened a few times over a week period. Now it's a daily thing.

The last issue I am having is that as of about 10 days ago my battery is draining about 3 times as fast as it was before with no increase in usage. I averaged a recharge every other day at the most and now I start the day at 100% and by the time I get home I'm at 40% (used to be 70-75%). Also I could go to bed, wake up, and the battery would only have decreased a few % but now it's as much as 15%. I keep data/3G off when not in use and I am pretty good about shutting down background apps when I'm done with them. I tried all the common tricks to prolong the battery life but like I said, it wasn't an issue before. I think it started around the time when I installed 4-5 new apps on the phone. Could that have done it?

I do have another issue. Since upgrading to 4.2.1 I am having issues whenever I open Cydia and it performs it's sources updates. Without fail I always have fetch and GPG errors for a variety of sources including repo.insanelyiph0ne.org and ispaziorepository.com.

I am considering upgrading to iOS 4.3.1. Any thoughts on whether or not that is a good idea while I am experiencing all these problems?
Any suggestions would be most welcome. Sorry for the long post, I was trying to provide as much detail as possible.
Thank you!

Hello,

The iphone when you upgrade and preserve the baseband has more problems the more you do it as the devs have said themselves, also 4.3.1 is supposed to have a better battery life so if i where you i would use pwnage tool and use it to upgrade to 4.3.1 and preserve the baseband again. you will have a better battery life and hopefully it will fix your issues you had with the 3g as well..

Is there no way you can actually use the phone with a supported carrier or ring the carrier to unlock the phone for you?

Thanks for the info Unleashed! Never really thought about that causing more & more issues. Unfortunately jailbreaking and unlocking the phone is my only option as I am currently stationed overseas. Otherwise I just have a really expensive iPod touch, LOL. Thanks again!