What's new

Self tune radio app

Mclark15

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site, I am trying to find a radio app that lets you tune in to local frequencies so that if you are at the football or at the motor racing you can tune into the commentary like if you took your own portable radio.

Any help?

One app I can think of is "TuneIn Radio." You can get a free (trial) version or the Pro version can be bought for $9.99.

I know you can tune in to radio stations, so maybe you'll be able to find/dial in specific frequencies.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Most sports league rules prohibit streaming of major sporting events so you may not be able to listen to your sports games. I know WGN doesn't stream baseball games for example. NFL and nascar are also not streamed due to the rules - this applies to radio and TV.

To listen to my local FM radio station, I use a police scanner that tunes in FM radio and use a free program called FreeScan on the PC, then the FreeScan app for iOS. This setup allows me to change channels remotely.

For AM radio, I have use my AV theater tuner and feed that audio into a SlingBox. Using the SlingBox app, I can stream and listen to that AM station, but don't have remote control to change stations.

These examples are an expensive way of streaming, but if you already have the equipment, the cost is minimal.

One app I can think of is "TuneIn Radio." You can get a free (trial) version or the Pro version can be bought for $9.99.

I know you can tune in to radio stations, so maybe you'll be able to find/dial in specific frequencies.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn
Be careful with TuneIn Radio iOS apps. They will drain your battery fast!

TuneIn Radio has special permission to run continuously in the background and won't time out after 10 mins like most all other apps do. This is due to the ability to schedule auto recording of radio shows. Unfortunately this auto record feature burn through your battery in the background!!!!

To avoid your battery from draining from TuneIn Radio app, when your finished listening to your radio show, you MUST close the app down by double pressing the home button and close down the app.

I'm experimenting on ways to avoid this app from draining my battery. So far I've come up with one tip; start listening to your radio station, and set the sleep timer to 2 hours (max). After 2 hours the app seems to stop its background activity. (Sleep timer is only available after you start listening to your show BTW)

As much as I hate IOS 9, it's new battery logging feature has reveled what a battery hog TuneIn Radio really is! I love TuneIn Radio Pro. It's actually a very powerful well thought out app. What cool is it allows you to set up your own stream from your PC. Slick!!

APX7000: I don't have that issue with the app. Maybe your settings for it are different. Can't say for sure but check this setting, maybe it will help.
Auto-Resume - Controls whether the stream player automatically resumes or stops when paused 30 minutes behind the live point of the stream. Change this setting to ON to allow the player to resume playing automatically.

Thanks to you all for your help, I will try a few and see how they go.

On a radio show earlier this week, this subject was talked about for a few minutes. Someone mentioned an app called something like iHeartRadio (something like that) and was able to listen to games from the New York stations.

I am sorry, that was a typo. I meant and thought I typed is.

I am telling you, auto-correct and I are having a bad week.