What's new

Screen lock code, old habits die hard

ardchoille

Reaction score
It seems that the screen lock passcode in iOS 9 has increased to 6 characters. I appreciate the extra security but can't help wondering how long it will take me to get used to the new length. Heck, it takes me at least three months to write the correct year on my checks.

You can keep the 4 digit passcode or revert to it if you've changed to a 6 digit passcode. The 6 digit code is, however, much more secure.

You can keep the 4 digit passcode or revert to it if you've changed to a 6 digit passcode. The 6 digit code is, however, much more secure.
Yeah, the added security makes me want to keep it and just get used to the new length.

I bet everybody will revert to their birthday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'd lose that bet, I would never make that type of security blunder.

Just keep the four digit code you are used to and add two easily remembered characters at either end.

That's what I did.

It's far more secure than one of the most popular passwords "1234567890", or that old standby "password".
Another mistake is using the same password for everything.

I am running IOS 10.1 and I still have the 4 digit screen code. How do I get the 6 digit access code option?

Thanks

I am running IOS 10.1 and I still have the 4 digit screen code. How do I get the 6 digit access code option?

Thanks
You should get the option if you go to Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>Change Passcode. You can choose from 4 digit, 6 digit, or complicated passcodes.

Thanks
Go to Settings - Touch ID & Passcode, enter your passcode, then sroll down to Change Passcode:
IMG_8004.JPG

Next thing you'll have to do: enter your current passcode. On the next screen, you'll find "Passcode Options". Tap it, to change your passcode to something different than the 4 digit passcode:
IMG_8005.JPG

Select the option you prefer, then enter your new passcode and confirm it.

You should get the option if you go to Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>Change Passcode. You can choose from 4 digit, 6 digit, or complicated passcodes.

I went to Passcode change in settings. But it still only offered a four digit change option. No six digit option???

Thanks

R
Go to Settings - Touch ID & Passcode, enter your passcode, then sroll down to Change Passcode:
View attachment 30176
Next thing you'll have to do: enter your current passcode. On the next screen, you'll find "Passcode Options". Tap it, to change your passcode to something different than the 4 digit passcode:
View attachment 30177
Select the option you prefer, then enter your new passcode and confirm it.

Please disregard my previous posting. I found it, thanks to you.