What's new

Scam advert for iphone

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just had to post this as i couldn't believe what i was hearing, on Breakfast tv this morning (a UK programme) they were talking about an app that you can put on your iphone and it makes your iphone waterproof......it beggars belief that anyone would believe this but they have and actually dunked their phones to see if it worked, now i'm not suggesting any of our members would be silly enough to do that, you're all far too savvy....right? ;)

Last edited:
How would something like this ever get Apple approval? Or are you talking about a jailbreak app?
That'a all i heard, i didn't catch the name of the app or even if they mentioned it, I just thought it would give members a laugh, it would be interesting though to know if anyone comes across this app in the app store.

ah now on tv they said it was an app but here is a newspaper report that explains it better-

iphone2-1-522x293.jpg
The prank advert closely mimics the look of Apple's real marketing

• Email
A fake Apple advert claiming the new iOS 7 software makes iPhones and iPads waterproof has apparently fooled some users into destroying their devices.
The "advert" circulating on social media sites claims that updating devices with the operating system installs a "smart switch" that cuts off the phone's power supply when water is detected.
This, it claims, "prevents any damage to your iPhone's delicate circuitry".
The advert looks remarkably similar to an authentic Apple advertisement, with the same plain white background and minimalist font and style.
It seems some users have been fooled into dunking their expensive gadgets into water to test out the promised feature, only to render their devices useless.

I moved it to off topic as it isn't an app.

I just can't believe anyone would dunk their iphone just to see if it works.....unbelievable!

If it's a jailbroken tweak, then it'd be from a personal/3rd party repository, meaning no one would know about it and wouldn't be advertised at all. No major repository king would approve of a tweak like that.

The "smart" ideas like these are always in the AppStore. And people still purchase these obvious scams.

Breaking news: Download my iPhonetoiPad app and watch your iPhone become an iPad. Only $19.99 in the AppStore.

Well it looks like they are claiming that the simple act of updating to IOS 7 is all you need to do and if your phone comes in to contact with water it operates a "smart switch"....what rubbish lol.

I wonder how many people will now complain to Apple when their phone is ruined by submerging it in water.

I wonder how many people will now complain to Apple when their phone is ruined by submerging it in water.
Thats what i thought, i doubt Apple will do anything to help.

I wonder if a distributor of a competing mobile operating system started this.. I'm suspicious of one in particular :)

I remember seeing this on twitter, some people also actually thought iOS 7 made their devices water proof... i mean wtfrig... who actually thinks a SOFTWARE update can make your HARDWARE water proof? is it magic firmware?