What's new

Rovio Announced Direct Sequel 'Angry Birds 2'

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
__thumb_-2-Angry%20Birds%202%20logo.jpg
The Angry Birds franchise has become somewhat of a mascot in regards to iOS gaming. In the past 6 years, Finnish game developer Rovio went from being a small-time game studio, to having its Angry Birds games downloaded over 3 billion times.

On Thursday, Rovio announced that Angry Birds will be getting a direct sequel, Angry Birds 2. While the franchise has gotten its fair share of spin-offs, like Angry Birds: Star Wars and Angry Birds GO!, Angry Birds 2 will be the first official sequel to the original.

"Back in December 2009, when we were just a small games studio, we released our 52nd game featuring colorful birds, green pigs, a slingshot and a super catchy theme tune. Fast forward to 2015 and that game, Angry Birds, has taken the world by storm.

With 3 billion game downloads, millions of fans across the globe, multiple mashups and spin-offs, collaborations with A-list celebrities and much more, we’re really proud that Angry Birds is the mother of all mobile game apps. And now we’re proud to announce the mother of all sequels – Angry Birds 2!"

Last year, Rovio saw its first profit decline, due to freemium games like Clash of Clans and Candy Crush becoming insanely popular. Hopefully this announcement and the released of Angry Birds 2 will help the developer get back to the top.

Angry Birds 2 launches July 30th on the iTunes App Store.

I've deleted all my Angry Birds games and will never be downloading from this company ever again.

I want a game I can PAY for once and be able to complete it without having to spend more money (micro payments/in-app purchase) to finish the game. When Angry Birds first came out, I paid 99 cents and was able to finish the game.

Now to complete all the different Angry Birds games, you have to pay more money.

I'm not against micro payments/in app purchase, but when a company makes it mandatory (more money) to finish the game they just sold, game over for me!