What's new

recover photos/videos from iPhone 5S (no iCloud/iTunes backup)

mingdao

Reaction score
Last night someone tried making space for a video by removing photos. After deleting them, they selected Recently Deleted and deleted from there. As they were being removed, she realized what she'd done.

There is no iCloud or iTunes backup. The PC only sees the few photos/videos that were not deleted from the phone. There is not even a C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\ directory. This computer never had iTunes installed.

They do have an iCloud account, but I can't quite figure out how to see what might be on there and get it back to the phone. On the phone in Settings > iCloud the only thing turned on is Mail and News. Everything else is off.

Most of the hits from Google searches were for some software. One that caught my eye, which didn't mention 3rd-party software, said to:
Code:
1. Directly scan and recover photo from iPhone
a) Connect your iPhone to the computer
b) Enter DFU mode and scan iPhone
c) Preview and recover iPhone photo

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22002314#22002314

From reading about DFU, this seems spurious at best.

Yes, I know about Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. All my computers, and for the most part, devices, are backed up to one of my servers by a script run from a cron job. However, this young lady has, until now, resisted even plugging the phone into her laptop and copying photos/videos to some new directory.

EDIT:

ardchoille sent me, and told me to add the following:
iPhone 5S
iOS 9.3.1

Last edited:
Last night someone tried making space for a video by removing photos. After deleting them, they selected Recently Deleted and deleted from there. As they were being removed, she realized what she'd done.

There is no iCloud or iTunes backup. The PC only sees the few photos/videos that were not deleted from the phone. There is not even a C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\ directory. This computer never had iTunes installed.

They do have an iCloud account, but I can't quite figure out how to see what might be on there and get it back to the phone. On the phone in Settings > iCloud the only thing turned on is Mail and News. Everything else is off.

Most of the hits from Google searches were for some software. One that caught my eye, which didn't mention 3rd-party software, said to:
Code:
1. Directly scan and recover photo from iPhone
a) Connect your iPhone to the computer
b) Enter DFU mode and scan iPhone
c) Preview and recover iPhone photo

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22002314#22002314

From reading about DFU, this seems spurious at best.

Yes, I know about Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. All my computers, and for the most part, devices, are backed up to one of my servers by a script run from a cron job. However, this young lady has, until now, resisted even plugging the phone into her laptop and copying photos/videos to some new directory.

EDIT:

ardchoille sent me, and told me to add the following:
iPhone 5S
iOS 9.3.1
Since those photos are not backed up anywhere else, there's, unfortunately, no way to recover those deleted photos.

Not really going to work. If your idevice wasn't even backed up with itunes or icloud, by trying to recover directly from the device itself: Won't even work.

3rd Party iOS Data Recovery Softwares will try their best to recover any of it. But sadly, it won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there's nothing you can do to retrieve those photos. Next time if you run out of space, maybe you can tell someone to use an USB iflash drive if the computer is not around.