What's new

Random WiFi issues IPhone 4s

Kelbs

Reaction score
I am using an IPhone 4 S, running IO 6.1 (current) on the Straight Talk network with an ATT SIM. I brought it to a cell phone repair store to set it up and change the APN settings. They placed an application on the phone from Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone. I don't know if it actually unlocks the phone but there is a selection for "Straight Talk Settings" which is what we chose. I am not able to access the APN settings directly. Unlike a lot of other comments that I read, my 4 S runs great on ST 99% of the time.

There are 2 issues, and I think they are related, and I guess, they are kind of unique. I have been to all the regular channels and they seem to be stumped. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if it were able to be solved.

First, there are public WiFis that I cannot connect to. Mostly, it is the public WiFis that require you to agree to the terms of service. Not for charge but just clicking a button to agree to the terms. I have no problem getting on with my IPad or other cell phone (including another IPhone not on ST). Not all of them. I can log in in a department store but not in the supermarket. I can get in at McDonalds but not at a university. There is no pattern except if I can get on once, I can always get on, but if I can't get on, I will never get on. I can get on with my IPad or another IPhone, but not on my IPhone. I get an error message that says "cannot connect with local hotspot because the server cannot be contacted." Again, this does not happen with other devices so it is unique to my phone.

The second issue, which I think is related, but is a bit more complex. One of my emails is a webmail. Normally I go through a webpage to access it. While on the ST wireless web, I cannot access it. The error message says "There was a problem communicating with the secure web proxy server." This issue does not occur when I am on WiFi. In addition, I am ABLE to reach the webmail through the IPhone "Mail" application, whether on WiFi or on wireless. I have been told that if I am able to reach the browser, and I am, it is not a cell carrier issue. I spoke to my webmail provider and was told there are no settings to block my access to my account. Again, this points to something with my phone.

Would anybody have any insights into this?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sur
e

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

See if you can access the problematic resources using data only, without using Wifi.

It is when using Data when I have the problems. I have no issues on WiFi (when I can connect).