What's new

Question on teathered jailbreak

view2darrel said:
untethered JB is days agead. wait for it. im in 5.0.1 untethered and will update to 5.1.1 when untethered is release i think by this week

Sent from my  iPhone 4s  using Tapatalk

Yeah, but if you updated to 5.1.1 and applied the tethered jailbreak then all you would have to do is run the new redsn0w over the tethered JB again to apply the untether and would not have to bother restoring again, and go through the setup again.

Personal preference really.

To me it would make literally no difference to update to 5.1.1 days before the untether was released.

Last edited:
zig9449 said:
What kind of memory?

You cannot increase hardware disk memory.

You cannot increase RAM...but there are tweaks that really allow you to manage free RAM well..

You can clear space in the root partition as well by running scripts that remove unused language packs and other unused files as well.

What kind of memory are you talking about,..and why exactly do you feel you need to gain more memory anyway...because in reality....you don't........the iPhone has plenty.

Just memory for more space to download apps and stuff. I'm still new at the jailbreaking stuff, maybe u could help me. When I download winterboard will my phone try to restart automatically then I'll have to do the just boot on my redsnow? And once the unteAthered version comes out should I upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.1?

I agree...I have stayed on a tethers jailbreak even after the untether was released for that reason.lol.

How did you update and what iOS did you update to? 5.1 or 5.1.1?

Not sure if this question is at me, but I'm at 5.1

taylor4338 said:
Just memory for more space to download apps and stuff. I'm still new at the jailbreaking stuff, maybe u could help me. When I download winterboard will my phone try to restart automatically then I'll have to do the just boot on my redsnow? And once the unteAthered version comes out should I upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.1?

If your going to upgrade you might as well upgrade to 5.1.1.

Might as well just upgrade to 5.1.1 now...then tether jailbreak...the apply the untether when it's released.

If you download WinterBoard, your phone will not reboot "automatically".

You have up press the reboot button.

But don't do that...if your on a tethered jailbreak then just don't do anything when the download finishes.

Just plug iPhone to computer...**** down (via Slide to power off) then enter DFU mode.

Then open redsn0w and click the "Just boot" button.

And you cannot make more space to download apps and stuff.

You won't need to..there is no way anyone could max our the space they have for Cydia tweaks.

You would never be able to make more space for AppStore apps either. It just doesn't work like that.

You can free space from the root partition...but it is 100% pointless in my honest opinion...and you gain nothing but the wasted time you took to clear the space.

I like to clear all of the language packs on my device....but I only do that for easier navigation through the iPhones file system..,doesn't do anything for performance.

Last edited:
zig9449 said:
If your going to upgrade you might as well upgrade to 5.1.1.

Might as well just upgrade to 5.1.1 now...then tether jailbreak...the apply the untether when it's released.

If you download WinterBoard, your phone will not reboot "automatically".

You have up press the reboot button.

But don't do that...if your on a tethered jailbreak then just don't do anything when the download finishes.

Just plug iPhone to computer...**** down (via Slide to power off) then enter DFU mode.

Then open redsn0w and click the "Just boot" button.

And you cannot make more space to download apps and stuff.

You won't need to..there is no way anyone could max our the space they have for Cydia tweaks.

You would never be able to make more space for AppStore apps either. It just doesn't work like that.

You can free space from the root partition...but it is 100% pointless in my honest opinion...and you gain nothing but the wasted time you took to clear the space.

I like to clear all of the language packs on my device....but I only do that for easier navigation through the iPhones file system..,doesn't do anything for performance.

Ok thanx a lot for the info. Yes I alrdy did the teathered jailbreak on 5.1. I'm really new at this stuff. Is there anything cool to try out besides winterboard? I won't have access to a computer till tomorrow so I don't wanna download anything that's gonna wanna reboot my device?

taylor4338 said:
Ok thanx a lot for the info. Yes I alrdy did the teathered jailbreak on 5.1. I'm really new at this stuff. Is there anything cool to try out besides winterboard? I won't have access to a computer till tomorrow so I don't wanna download anything that's gonna wanna reboot my device?

And one more thing if u don't mind me Asking but I can't figure out how to pay for an app that I want on cydia? It says stuff about pay pal and something else but I can't figure out how to do it.

taylor4338 said:

There are endless cool tweaks to try out.

IntelliSceenX: provides a series of toggles in notification center and so much more...as well as notification center on the lock screen $10 with a 3 day trial.

biteSMS: allows you to reply and compose a txt message from anywhere on the device...including the lock screen without leaving the app your in. (absolute MUST HAVE. Better the *ALL* messaging tweaks). Don't forget to change it to these Messages app within the settings so you don't have the ugly pink one.lol. Unless you like it that is.

Springtomize 2: too many customization options to even mention.

KBShortcuts: drag your finger from the space bar to certain keys and whatever you set for that key will be entered without having to manually type it. Can set the Keys for whatever want.

SwipeSelecion: drag your finger across the keyboard to move the cursor fast...work well with KBS.

KuaiDial: type in any contact name in the phone apps keypad with T9 function...swipe through the numbers. Also has a blacklist feature that works very well.

iFile: every jailbroken iPhone should have iFile installed period.

zig9449 said:
There are endless cool tweaks to try out.

IntelliSceenX: provides a series of toggles in notification center and so much more...as well as notification center on the lock screen $10 with a 3 day trial.

biteSMS: allows you to reply and compose a txt message from anywhere on the device...including the lock screen without leaving the app your in. (absolute MUST HAVE. Better the *ALL* messaging tweaks). Don't forget to change it to these Messages app within the settings so you don't have the ugly pink one.lol. Unless you like it that is.

Springtomize 2: too many customization options to even mention.

KBShortcuts: drag your finger from the space bar to certain keys and whatever you set for that key will be entered without having to manually type it. Can set the Keys for whatever want.

SwipeSelecion: drag your finger across the keyboard to move the cursor fast...work well with KBS.

KuaiDial: type in any contact name in the phone apps keypad with T9 function...swipe through the numbers. Also has a blacklist feature that works very well.

iFile: every jailbroken iPhone should have iFile installed period.

Ok I downloaded the texting app but wasn't sure what u meant by changing the settings and not getting the pink one? The texting part isn't pink only the icon is pink. Is that what u meant

taylor4338 said:
Ok I downloaded the texting app but wasn't sure what u meant by changing the settings and not getting the pink one? The texting part isn't pink only the icon is pink. Is that what u meant

Ok I figured it out but I haven't downloaded winterboard yet to apply any diff looks just cause of having to have to reboot my device

taylor4338 said:
Ok I figured it out but I haven't downloaded winterboard yet to apply any diff looks just cause of having to have to reboot my device

WinterBoard is only a visual thing.

I like to use most of my memory for "functionality" instead of making it look pretty...which I do but not to an extreme extent. Just unnecessary.

I change small things like making my gray lock screen slider black...changing the blue pop up alert image to the same black one that's used on the lock screen....maybe change the notification center image...that's pretty much it.

Large themes are just a waste of space IMHO.

Download big boss's semi tether so you can reboot into "stock" if ur phone dies and you cant get to a computer.

Sprittle85 said:
Download big boss's semi tether so you can reboot into "stock" if ur phone dies and you cant get to a computer.

You can still reboot to a semi-tethered state without the package installed.

The package should still be installed so you can *reapply* the semi-tether if needed...therefore the application should be opened before every reboot to check the status.