What's new

Question for very savvy, hi tech iPhone person.

Almorris230

Reaction score
I have always had a blackberry phone. I was about to buy an iPhone, but my IT guy at work has a warning for me. He said that the instantaneous email I experience on my iPad is because we have the blackberry server and I have a blackberry phone. He says that the iPhone system will not work as fast As the blackberry with the blackberry server and I will be very disappointed with the speed. Right now, if I send an email with my blackberry, it instantly shows up on my iPad and on my pc outlook. If I switch will there be a noticeable difference?

I have never noticed any slowing of emails. The push notifications seem to be on top of their game.

Your IT guy lies.....also BB servers have been less than reliable in recent times

I must agree with everyone else on this. My emails come in seconds after they are sent.

And then it depends where it comes from, yahoo's servers are not as fast as gmail. And I had a Black Berry before my iPhone. And I am totally happy.

I spent over 30 years in IT. The BlackBerry BES server does have issues. I use Exchange and Gmail. Initially, I configured my Gmail via the Gmail tab on the creating an account screen. My Gmail did not push. So, I created another account using the Exchange tab. Now, my Gmail hits my phone without delay.

I'm amazed at the speed of the 4S. Not sure what carrier you use but VZW just announced an extension of the trial period. Now, you have until the first week of January instead of their 14 day return period. Pick up an iPhone and test it out. Let us know what you decide.

If your company is running their BES over MS Exchange, you will notice no difference in speed with the iPhone. I have my iPhone, iPad and MBP connected to a full Exchange server and the iPhone and iPad ding nearly simultaneously where the full Outlook client can lag by as much as 30 seconds to a minute or so - still not a huge issue as I use it only for backing up email, not reading. My corporate phone is a BlackBerry on a BES server over Exchange. I have tested by sending emails to both my personal and work accounts and the iPhone/iPad always get the email before the BB. In fact, when you take the BES out of the equation, even BlackBerries get mail faster...

I dont know if I would ever go back to something other than Exchange for my email. It just works well. All my contacts, calendars, emails are all synched between all my devices (iPhone, iPad, MBP) so effortlessly. I make a change on one, and it is replicated across all other devices nearly instantly. I will always recommend, if someone has access to do it, this method. Not that connecting to gmail via exchange settings doesnt work, it just doesnt work as well. I noticed inconsistencies when I set others up that way.

If you are interested in a full Exchange server for email, there are quite a few out there. Yes, generally there is a monthly charge, but it is worth it. I am grandfathered in to 1&1 Internet - Home Exchange service for $2.99/month because I signed up to beta test it for them about 7 years ago. Been on it ever since and I have never worried about my email. They even give you a full copy of Microsoft Outlook for free when you sign up with them. And no, I do not work for them.

The iphone speed has always been pretty speedy from my experience. I've used blackberry phones before and iphones all except iphone 4. I now have a iphone 4s and agree with everyone else, that it is speedy and u an set it to refresh while on push notifications to refresh every 15 min or longer or set it up for manual refresh. You shouldnt notice a lag of service.