What's new

QR reader for iPhone 3G (iOS 4.2.1)?

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
Does any one, I wonder, know of a QR Code reader for an iPhone 3G (NOT 3GS) with iOS 4.2.1?

I have tried quite a number of the ones in the App. Store, but all the ones I have tried require a later phone and/or later iOS.

Does any one, I wonder, know of a QR Code reader for an iPhone 3G (NOT 3GS) with iOS 4.2.1?

I have tried quite a number of the ones in the App. Store, but all the ones I have tried require a later phone and/or later iOS.
I found this QR code reader app that says it requires iOS 3. I haven't tried it myself so I can't say how good it is. It's the only one I found, however, that says it will work with an iOS version available to the iPhone 3G. It hasn't been updated since 2009, though.
QR app on the App Store on iTunes

Thanks very much, scifan57. I purchased and installed the app that you mentioned, and its functions do, indeed, work on my phone. So far I have been unable to decode anything with it, because it keeps telling me to take a better scan of the code. It may be that the camera on my phone is not good enough (though I have taken some quite decent photos with it), but I shall continue to experiment.

PS to the above:

I have now almost certainly established that it is not my camera's fault. On my phone the QR app reads two-dimensional QR codes perfectly well and astonishingly quickly, but will not read one-dimensional (linear) ones — which are, of course, by far the commonest — at all. As it is not a free or inexpensive app, I wanted to contact the developer, but have failed.

PS to the above:

I have now almost certainly established that it is not my camera's fault. On my phone the QR app reads two-dimensional QR codes perfectly well and astonishingly quickly, but will not read one-dimensional (linear) ones — which are, of course, by far the commonest — at all. As it is not a free or inexpensive app, I wanted to contact the developer, but have failed.
I'm sorry to hear that the app doesn't work properly. Being as the app hasn't been updated in years, the developer may have abandoned the app and may no longer respond. Since you've just bought the app, have you considered contacting Apple and asking for a refund as the app doesn't work properly?

To contact Apple, go here. https://expresslane.apple.com/

Tap the apps and software button and follow the directions.

It's always cheering when one gets an optimistic message like yours, Poisonivy. Thank you. And I love 'If you can stay calm…situation'!

It's always cheering when one gets an optimistic message like yours, Poisonivy. Thank you. And I love 'If you can stay calm…situation'!
You're welcome Michael, As scifan said let us know how it goes.
I'm glad you like my signature :)

Well, I am very pleasantly surprised by Apple's way of dealing with this. I did contact the Help system, went through all the hoops to get to the right place and put in a description of what the app. does and doesn't do, being promised a reply by email, but that turned out to be unnecessary. When the iTune invoice appeared, it had a link for 'Any problems?'. I clicked it and was presented with a number of tick-boxes. I ticked the one for 'App does not do what it should do' (or words to that effect), and very soon received confirmation that my purchase price would be refunded, no questions asked.

I am glad about this, not because of the actual money involved (which, in the greater scheme of things, is after all pretty small), but because of Apple's respect and consideration for customers and users of Apple equipment.

Thank you both for advice and support.

Well, I am very pleasantly surprised by Apple's way of dealing with this. I did contact the Help system, went through all the hoops to get to the right place and put in a description of what the app. does and doesn't do, being promised a reply by email, but that turned out to be unnecessary. When the iTune invoice appeared, it had a link for 'Any problems?'. I clicked it and was presented with a number of tick-boxes. I ticked the one for 'App does not do what it should do' (or words to that effect), and very soon received confirmation that my purchase price would be refunded, no questions asked.

I am glad about this, not because of the actual money involved (which, in the greater scheme of things, is after all pretty small), but because of Apple's respect and consideration for customers and users of Apple equipment.

Thats great Michael, Apple really can't be beaten when it comes to customer service.
Glad we could help.

That's why Apple has the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry. Thanks for letting us know, Michael.