What's new

Push notifications vs. contacts and calendar access

TimeTraveler7

Reaction score
I was under the impression that only the apps that are approved by the user upon installation, are allowed to broadcast push notifications (in the same manner as contacts and calendar access, for instance). However, I've encountered several occasions lately where I get a notification out of the blue, from an app I never approved to do that. This usually happens after an update, first use, first use after an update, or even a fresh install. Of course I have to go into Settings/Notifications to change that.
So, judging from this, is there no "guarantee" that you won't be getting notifications other than those you explicitly approved? Or is this some sort of an iOS bug that developers/marketeers exploit? So it's not like Calendar/Contacts... access (unless those can be accessed without user explicit approval as well)?

What I have seen is that some apps automatically put themselves into your Notification Center. And, some don't even ask you if you want that. And, I agree with you - it's annoying as all get out! :)

I even had an app that I took out of the Notification Center (after it sent me a push notice/message) but an update put it back in. Grrrr!

The only solution I have found is the one you use - check in your Notifications tab (in Settings) and make sure nothing is in there you don't want. I don't believe there is any way to prevent this. Sorry.

Marilyn

iOS 5 and 6 had no clear definitions for this situation. iOS 7 will change that but the developer is not required, at present, to follow them. So the developer can still "bend the rules" in his favor till Apple lays out a very clear app rejection policy.