What's new

Push Notification

Danielle02

Reaction score
Might be an odd question, but what are push notifications?

Notifications are pushed to the device. i.e. like Facebook comments and such

Might be an odd question, but what are push notifications?

It means that notifications of a message or event are initiated externally, causing the phone to alert you without any action required on your part. This is as opposed to you having to initiate a check for an event from your phone. "Push" comes from the notification being forced to the phone from the server. For example, if you go out and check for e-mail manually, or have the phone automatically check for e-mails at specified intervals, that's pull technology. But when you receive a text message alert without having done anything from your end, that's push. It can apply to many types of alerts and notifications.

It means that notifications of a message or event are initiated externally, causing the phone to alert you without any action required on your part. This is as opposed to you having to initiate a check for an event from your phone. "Push" comes from the notification being forced to the phone from the server. For example, if you go out and check for e-mail manually, or have the phone automatically check for e-mails at specified intervals, that's pull technology. But when you receive a text message alert without having done anything from your end, that's push. It can apply to many types of alerts and notifications.
Good explanation Dave! The only issue w/ having all email's, messages & notifications "Pushed" to your phone is some users don't like the extra drain it puts on your battery. I myself don't mind manually checking my email or Facebook for emails or msgs.

Thanks guys, and it sounds like everyone is having problems with there battery on 4s, but I think since I got the 4s I really don't charge it until the end of the day, my battery lasts all day and I text, use the Internet, and I use Siri.

Thanks guys, and it sounds like everyone is having problems with there battery on 4s, but I think since I got the 4s I really don't charge it until the end of the day, my battery lasts all day and I text, use the Internet, and I use Siri.
It's always seemed, to me, that battery life is greatly extended over a period of time by fully discharging your phone once a week. We're already starting to see members w/ orginal complaints of the 4S battery life being horrible... now they're saying it's getting better after a couple weeks of property battery management.