What's new

Purchasing apps from iPhone without downloading them

Jesse_Dylan

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm a new member. I've had an iPod touch 4G for about a year, and I've now ordered a used iPhone 4S and plan to activate it on Straight Talk. I thought I might need help and advice, especially if I decide to jailbreak it in order to allow MMS (not to do anything shady, though!), so I figured joining here would be a good idea.

Anyway, for my first question, I've always wondered, is it possible to BUY apps from the App Store without immediately downloading them? The reason I ask is because Straight Talk wants people to use their data plan in a "normal, reasonable" way (which some suggests means never going over 100mb of data in a day or over 2gb or so in a month). I use App Shopper and constantly surf app deals. I'm excited to be able to do this over 3G, and when price drops happen, or stuff goes free, I want to be able to purchase it immediately. However, I want to wait and download it via wifi, not 3G.

I know, I can just buy it, then "pause" the download, or even delete it before it can install. BUT, one issue I ran into with my iPod, is storage space. I was constantly cramped, and there would be times when I'd be at an airport, no where near my computer or iTunes, and a game would have a huge price drop. I'd want to buy it, but it would be large in size, so I'd have to delete music and games to make room before I'd even be allowed to purchase it. Lame.

Any way around this?

Thank you, experts!!
-Jesse

There is a use cellular option in settings that you can turn off for the app store. So yes it is possible. I have it turned off but haven't tried it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting! I'll try that. So then it would let me queue stuff for when I was back in wifi?

But that still doesn't let me purchase stuff if I don't have enough memory for it to install, even if I'm not actually doing to download/install it, only buy it. With my 8gb iPod touch, this was really tricky. I constantly had to delete stuff I didn't want to delete, lose save data, just so I could purchase something that I didn't actually want to install yet but didn't want to wait because it was $0.99 for a limited time instead of $7.99 or something.

The easiest solution, but $$, is to get a 4S with more memory (guessing you don't have a 64 gig on the way.)