What's new

Possesed keyboard, apps icons going to delete mode rather than launching

MisterBilbo

Reaction score
Trust me when I say that I have searched and searched for the answers to these issues. Maybe I am using the wrong terms as I have only had to post a few times. I have had my iPhone 4 since launch and not had a single problem. I was jailbroken but I accidentally updated to 4.3.5 and have stayed with it for months with no issues. Yesterday, however, my iphone just started acting crazy. I had downloaded nothing, didn't connect to itunes, nothing was changed. Here are the issues I am having.

1) When trying to use the keyboard, in any app, I get double characters, randomly the "extra character" bar comes up like it would if you held the key down. Often when I hit the backspace it will delete one character, pause, then just start wiping out everything I have typed. The keyboard is so erratic that it is unusable.

2) When I click (touch) an app icon to launch an app most of the time it takes the phone into delete app mode where there are little "x's" on each app. If I hit the home button it works as normal and disables the delete mode. What is weird is that if I try to launch a different app right away, it will launch the app I had previously tried to launch. So bizarre. Sometimes, rarely though, when I go to launch an app the icon, when touched, just freezes "indented" like its stuck. If I hit it again it will launch the app. Obviously this makes using the phone a real challenge.

3) In Safari, when I touch the icon to launch another window, it just freezes and the "light" that appears when you touch this icon stays on! It will stay on indefinitely and if I rotate the screen it stays lit but not in the same place. This is hard to explain. Its in the same place aspect ration wise but since the screen stretches when you go into landscape, the "lit" area is where it would be if in landscape mode the screen was cropped or in 3:2 mode. If need be I can try to screen shot it and post it. I have to hit it again, harder than normal, to get to the page when you can open a new window or kill existing ones.

I hope this makes sense. I am rather tech savvy but haven't been involved that much on iphone forums. I spend most of my time in car audio and computer forums. I have not reset the phone through Itunes as I wanted to see if their was an easier fix or maybe iOS 5 will fix it. Any ideas? Seems to be a over sensitive screen issue? Thanks in advance.

MisterBilbo said:
Trust me when I say that I have searched and searched for the answers to these issues. Maybe I am using the wrong terms as I have only had to post a few times. I have had my iPhone 4 since launch and not had a single problem. I was jailbroken but I accidentally updated to 4.3.5 and have stayed with it for months with no issues. Yesterday, however, my iphone just started acting crazy. I had downloaded nothing, didn't connect to itunes, nothing was changed. Here are the issues I am having.

1) When trying to use the keyboard, in any app, I get double characters, randomly the "extra character" bar comes up like it would if you held the key down. Often when I hit the backspace it will delete one character, pause, then just start wiping out everything I have typed. The keyboard is so erratic that it is unusable.

2) When I click (touch) an app icon to launch an app most of the time it takes the phone into delete app mode where there are little "x's" on each app. If I hit the home button it works as normal and disables the delete mode. What is weird is that if I try to launch a different app right away, it will launch the app I had previously tried to launch. So bizarre. Sometimes, rarely though, when I go to launch an app the icon, when touched, just freezes "indented" like its stuck. If I hit it again it will launch the app. Obviously this makes using the phone a real challenge.

3) In Safari, when I touch the icon to launch another window, it just freezes and the "light" that appears when you touch this icon stays on! It will stay on indefinitely and if I rotate the screen it stays lit but not in the same place. This is hard to explain. Its in the same place aspect ration wise but since the screen stretches when you go into landscape, the "lit" area is where it would be if in landscape mode the screen was cropped or in 3:2 mode. If need be I can try to screen shot it and post it. I have to hit it again, harder than normal, to get to the page when you can open a new window or kill existing ones.

I hope this makes sense. I am rather tech savvy but haven't been involved that much on iphone forums. I spend most of my time in car audio and computer forums. I have not reset the phone through Itunes as I wanted to see if their was an easier fix or maybe iOS 5 will fix it. Any ideas? Seems to be a over sensitive screen issue? Thanks in advance.

Hello Mr. Bilbo

Have you tried hard resetting. (hold sleep/wake and home buttons until you see apple logo and release) if none of this works I would restore the device.anyways iOS 5 releases tomorrow so why not wait for that. It's way better than 4.3.5

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply iCrank!
Yes I have tried a hard reset and it doesn't help.

Holy. I just happened to notice that the screen at the top was really close to the edge. For example, the wifi icon was just barely "touching" the edge of the screen. I don't know how this worked and did'nt even think it was possible but a two finger double tap FROM THE HOME SCREEN and the screen adjusted ever so slightly. We are talking mm's here!! Now everything seems to be working correct!!!! WTF???? The screen is responsive and not getting stuck or thinking I am holding icons down when I barely touch them and the keyboard hasn't acted up once and I has typed on it for 10 minutes. This is really bizaare. Must be the new Android phone I just bought my Wife. My mistress iPhone was upset. This is crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
MisterBilbo said:
Thanks for the fast reply iCrank!
Yes I have tried a hard reset and it doesn't help.

Holy. I just happened to notice that the screen at the top was really close to the edge. For example, the wifi icon was just barely "touching" the edge of the screen. I don't know how this worked and did'nt even think it was possible but a two finger double tap FROM THE HOME SCREEN and the screen adjusted ever so slightly. We are talking mm's here!! Now everything seems to be working correct!!!! WTF???? The screen is responsive and not getting stuck or thinking I am holding icons down when I barely touch them and the keyboard hasn't acted up once and I has typed on it for 10 minutes. This is really bizaare. Must be the new Android phone I just bought my Wife. My mistress iPhone was upset. This is crazy.

Glad you got the issue fixed but please keep the profanity down even if it's I'm symbols.

Maybe someone can help me with my crazy issue. For whatever reason my iTunes seems to have a mind of it's own. It never updates automatically, it ALWAYS freezes. I was told to uninstall and then reinstall. I did that and received the same issue; freezes, won't update. I was told to go into the program settings and hit "repair.". I did that as well but unfortunately this did not fix the problem. This issue is more bothersome than anything else. The most aggravating part is the freezing. Not really sure what else I can do since I've already re-installed it numerous times.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

blessed said:
Maybe someone can help me with my crazy issue. For whatever reason my iTunes seems to have a mind of it's own. It never updates automatically, it ALWAYS freezes. I was told to uninstall and then reinstall. I did that and received the same issue; freezes, won't update. I was told to go into the program settings and hit "repair.". I did that as well but unfortunately this did not fix the problem. This issue is more bothersome than anything else. The most aggravating part is the freezing. Not really sure what else I can do since I've already re-installed it numerous times.
Thanks

Note: once I "repair" the issue I'm able to update but ONLY from the iTunes site. I'm NEVER able to update from the iTunes program. I currently have the latest version.

blessed said:
Note: once I "repair" the issue I'm able to update but ONLY from the iTunes site. I'm NEVER able to update from the iTunes program. I currently have the latest version.

Do you have a firewall up?

Hmmm. Good question. I do, but when I checked it, it said it was disabled. It's windows firewall. I also have Norton, but it always recognizes apple, iTunes etc.

No, no offense taken. You're trying to help me, so any question you need to ask is fine with me. Especially since this is all foreign to me!!

Here's another question for ya; how do I change the time for this forum? It's currently 9:31 here on the East Coast, however it's posting 1:31a.m. Someone mentioned that I need to go to my settings on the homescreen and look for this forum, but it's not there. Please help.

blessed said:
Here's another question for ya; how do I change the time for this forum? It's currently 9:31 here on the East Coast, however it's posting 1:31a.m. Someone mentioned that I need to go to my settings on the homescreen and look for this forum, but it's not there. Please help.

Go to user cp and change the timezone. You probably set it up wrong when you signed up for the forum

Where do I find user cp? And what does the cp stand for? Customer Profile??

blessed said:
Where do I find user cp? And what does the cp stand for? Customer Profile??

Since the site update I actually forgot where it is. Click your name and in the official site and look for edit details.

It does nothing when I click on my name. You are talking about the profile section, correct?