What's new

Podcasts App Arrives in App Store

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
7316-podcasts-out-now.JPG

Well we thought that we might have to wait until iOS 6 for this, but AppleInsider reports today that Apple has released a new, standalone Podcasts app in the App Store. The app is free, and universal, and is described by Apple as being “the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favourite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.” The app gives you easy access to a massive amount of free audio and video podcasts from Apple’s extensive Podcasts Catalog, and will organize your podcasts for you by topic, using the new Top Stations feature. Here’s a complete list of all the new app’s key features, courtesy of Apple, and AppleInsider:

• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices

This is an excellent idea from Apple, as a way of highlighting all the fantastic content to be found in its huge library of podcasts.

Click here to download the free app: Podcasts for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Apple launches new 'Podcasts' app for iPhone, iPad

Just saw the news on this but can't locate that exact app in the App Store. Searching Podcasts does not bring it up. It does show one called Podcaster 5 that has the same icon as the one shown but seems to have been out for awhile. Is this it?

Just saw the news on this but can't locate that exact app in the App Store. Searching Podcasts does not bring it up. It does show one called Podcaster 5 that has the same icon as the one shown but seems to have been out for awhile. Is this it?

Are you in the UK where I am? I couldn't find it in the UK store yet, but it is in the US one. Annoying because I wanted to download it! No Podcasts App, or sunshine for us!

Are you in the UK where I am? I couldn't find it in the UK store yet, but it is in the US one. Annoying because I wanted to download it! No Podcasts App, or sunshine for us!
No, I'm in the US. Funny thing. I'm just trying it again now after seeing your post and it's appeared. Was not there when I originally posted. So I guess either the App store is a bit behind you and the news services or it was gone for a bit. Hope you guys get it soon.:)

I personally had send myself a link from my desktop to my phone so I could link directly to it. The problem I'm having is when I click on a podcast and say subscribe it tells me it can not download a podcast. I have several in my 4S as it is, but it will not download new ones, but it does appear to stream which I find rather odd.

I don't mind streaming some, but when I want to download for on the go it kinda seems pointless. LOL

Maybe its my 3G connection or maybe it doesn't like the two different Wifi connections I tried or maybe downloading isn't enabled. Who knows, but its rather slick.

I personally had send myself a link from my desktop to my phone so I could link directly to it. The problem I'm having is when I click on a podcast and say subscribe it tells me it can not download a podcast. I have several in my 4S as it is, but it will not download new ones, but it does appear to stream which I find rather odd.

I don't mind streaming some, but when I want to download for on the go it kinda seems pointless. LOL

Maybe its my 3G connection or maybe it doesn't like the two different Wifi connections I tried or maybe downloading isn't enabled. Who knows, but its rather slick.
I'm on WiFi and just streamed one and downloaded one from The Ricky Gervais Show. I'm new to the whole podcast thing so not sure if the 3G thing matters or not.

Search the app store for "Apple", it's called Podcasts and has a purple icon.

Anybody else has problems with downloading podcasts on a jailbroken IPhone ? I tested this on 3 jailbroken devices, and all 3 cannot download. You can only stream the podcasts when online. When offline you can't listen to any podcast !

Not sure how useful it is - doesn't seem to allow for use of Podcasts across iDevices (unlike your music) even with the cloud.