What's new

Please help. iPhone App Project.

TheDood

Reaction score
[h=6]Alright guys, so this is a long one, but I really need the help.

In my CIS class, we have to pitch an iPhone app. This means the functionality, the five components of IS (hardware, software, data, procedures, people), and the costs of everything in a cost/benefit analysis format.

Our app is basically a small social network for our university. You register, select your major from a drop-down list composed of all majors, and give your year. Pretty simple for now, we will talk about further functionality in our presentation provided it does well.

Once registered, you scroll through the schools within your university, select a school, select a major, and then you can either search or browse all users within that major. Next you can add them as a peer, or ask them to join a "study group." The study groups will also appear on your profile later. Once in a study group, you get a small discussion board so you can arrange meeting times and so forth.

Pretty simple app.

The biggest questions I have for you guys are the following:

1) I plan on using this: AWS SDK for iOS - An Objective C library for Amazon S3, Amazon SimpleDB, and more. to develop and power my app. What server should I get from amazon that will work well with my app, and work well with their sdk?

2) My TA said to use an SVN, which I found here: subversion.tigris.org for collaboration and stuff. What exactly is a SVN, and what can I do with it?

3) What other software would I need to help with the development?

4) How much would a 2-3 man dev team cost for this type of app? They will all work from their own desktops, and will communicate with the SVN or any other recommended collaboration software.

5) A good place to find help with in app advertising, or any other means of allowing this app idea to generate revenue?

Assumptions about this app are that everyone already has a desktop, and an ISP. I just need to pay for the means of storing and running the app, as well as getting it developed.

I know it is a lot, but I am just so inexperienced the project feels overwhelming. I have done hours of research already, and just can't get all of the answers, so I want expert advice.

Thank you for all of your time![/h]