What's new

Photo Stream question

donhall914

Reaction score
I just set up iCloud on my iPhone (4G) and Dell computer. It seems to be working OK. However, when I setup photo streaming, the only photos streamed were the ones I took today (before setting up iCloud). Is there a way to move photos from my Camera Roll to Photo Stream to download them to my PC?
Thanks

Well first off, lets make sure you understand that the Photo Stream will only store the last 1000 photos or photos that are less than 30 days old, which ever comes first. So Photo Stream is not meant for permanent storage.

And at present I have not found a way to do this except thru the Macintosh program iPhoto. And if memory serves Apple hasn't released a version for Windows yet.

Skull One, Thanks for the response. I still don't fully understand how Photo Stream works. I have about 20 photos in my Camera Roll that are less than 30 days old. Most were not taken with the native iPhone app, but with another (Genius). I've taken several photos today as a test, both with the native camera app and Genius. Only some of the photos showed up on Photo Stream. Not even all the ones taken with the native camera app. ????
Don

I am not understanding the photo stream at all. I have mine all set up and took some test pics today and none of them backed up. I am just not sure how it works.

I am not understanding the photo stream at all. I have mine all set up and took some test pics today and none of them backed up. I am just not sure how it works.

Be aware, you have no control of photos stored in iCloud. Any unwanted photos can't be deleted. You can turn Photo Stream off, but if you turn it back on, the photos come back.
Even if you delete your iCloud account, when you resign the deleted photos come back. So I guess you have no control of your own stuff.

To my knowledge the only way to get a photo into photo stream from your camera roll that were taken before you set iCloud up is to sync with iPhoto on a Mac. New photos should push automatically

I finally have got Photo Stream to work on everything. I had no problems with the iPhone and the iPad sharing the pics in Photo Stream but I didn't have my PC right. So today I clicked on the icloud in the taskbar on the PC and it brought up the iCloud box. I clicked on Options on Photo Stream and it shows the download and upload folders that had been created on my PC by iCloud. I didn't even know they were there. All of my pics from Photo Stream were in my download box and then I opened up the upload folder and it was empty. I copied a pic from the PC to the upload box and it didn't show up on the iPhone. I read on Apple that pics are only transfered on WiFi and I don't have WiFi in my office. I walked over to the over office where we have WiFi and bingo there's the pic in my Photo Stream on the iPhone. So I guess the work around for your problem would be to hook the iPhone to the PC and transfer the old pics then put them in the upload folder and bingo they will be in the Photo Stream in your i devices.