What's new

People power - McLaren reveal MP4-26 with Berlin’s help

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
found here: Formula 1

Bit by bit, part by part, McLaren unveiled their 2011 car on the streets of Berlin on Friday. Aided by title sponsors Vodafone, and members of the public carrying components through the streets, the British team assembled the brand-new MP4-26 in the famous Potsdamer Platz in the heart of the German capital.

Drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button joined proceedings as the car gradually took shape before an ever-growing crowd of enthusiastic onlookers. For both men it was their first sight of the finished machine.

"We've seen it in the wind tunnel quite a lot, but it looks even better full-size," said Hamilton. “It’s great to see how many fans braved the Berlin weather to come to the event. I hope it’s been an exciting day for everyone. I think people saw a unique way of revealing our 2010 car, something that’s never been done before. I hope the car proves just as innovative once we take to the track.

“I head into 2011 in a relaxed but determined frame of mind. I’ve spared nothing during my winter fitness preparations and, in many ways, I feel as fit, focused and refreshed as I did ahead of my first season in Formula One in 2007. So my aim for this year is to ensure that everything comes together in the best possible way and that, like last year, I’m able to fight for the title right down to the final race.”

Team mate Button wass equally excited after his first glimpse of his new charge: “Today really marks the beginning of our 2011 season after what seems a very long time away from the track,” he said. “It’s been a really exciting event for all the fans who attended, and now I can’t wait to get behind the wheel of MP4-26 for the first time next week.

“It’s strange to think that this is only the start of my second season at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, because I’ve felt so comfortable since joining the team last January. Even so, I’d still consider 2010 something of a building year, albeit, with two victories, a pretty solid one! For the new season, I’ve not only got a year’s Vodafone McLaren Mercedes experience under my belt, but I’ve also been able to offer input into the design and development of the new car - something that I was naturally unable to do last year. Now I really feel I know how Vodafone McLaren Mercedes goes racing, and I’ll be driving a car that’s been fully developed around Lewis and myself - that’s a very empowering feeling.”

The new car boasts a range of aerodynamic features designed to take advantage of new rules that significantly limit the amount of downforce that can be derived from the car’s underbody. It features distinctive U-shaped sidepods - to feed air more efficiently to the car’s rear end - and an electronically adjustable rear-wing system, introduced for 2011 to increase the potential for overtaking.

Beneath its skin, the car houses an all-new electric hybrid KERS system. McLaren, with engine partners Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines, were the first Formula One team to win a Grand Prix using a hybrid device in 2009, and this new system is expected to further refine that race-winning package.

“I think today’s innovative launch demonstrates the enthusiasm within Vodafone McLaren Mercedes to engage the general public; to show them that our sport is intense and exciting, and that we’re very keen to showcase Formula One to the wider world,” said team principal Martin Whitmarsh. “The MP4-26 is the result of an incredible amount of hard work, innovative thinking and dynamic teamwork.

“Under the leadership of (technical director) Paddy Lowe, (engineering director) Tim Goss and (director of design and development programmes) Neil Oatley, our design department is more integrated than ever: in fact, I’m particularly proud of the contributions made by our project engineers, many of whom have taken on leadership roles for the very first time and who had worked so well together to create this very striking and individual-looking car.”

After their near miss in 2010, McLaren hope the Mercedes-powered car will see the team take their first constructors’ championship since 1998 and first drivers’ title since Hamilton’s success in 2008.The team finished last season second overall, behind rivals Red Bull, with 454 points and five victories to Red Bull’s 498 points and nine wins.

Following Friday’s launch, McLaren tester Gary Paffett will shakedown the car during a private session at Spain's Idiada Proving Ground on February 8 before the team begin track testing at the Spanish circuit of Jerez on February 10.

Can't wait for the new season. Ferrari were the first to unveil their car a week or so ago. Did it the boring old fashioned way. Lol.

When's the F1 2011 thread getting started then? Lol...

33 days according to f1.com

did they? i did not hear anything about ferraris or rebbulls car i havent kept up with the news as much, but this year is ferraris they came 2nd last year but this year massa will pull his weight more and they will kick ass

its going to be 1. ferrari 2. red bulll then anything lower it doesent matter ;)

my cousin is with mclaren also.... they do have some nice road cars but as a f1 team they are losers ;p

I got an email from the f1 website. I think it's because my wife got me a jacket for Xmas and used my email address. Lol.

You said that last year about ferrari aswell. Looked how that turned out. Lol. I hope massa does better than alonso this year. Put the little arrogant fella in his place.

I like your cousins thinking... ;)

I got an email from the f1 website. I think it's because my wife got me a jacket for Xmas and used my email address. Lol.

You said that last year about ferrari aswell. Looked how that turned out. Lol. I hope massa does better than alonso this year. Put the little arrogant fella in his place.

I like your cousins thinking... ;)

lol nice i was thinking of buying some cloths from there but never did in the end, maybe a ferrari t shirt..

so what did they say to you?

and ye si did say it last year but alonso came second, this time they will come first in racers and the team..

and my cousin has bad taste in f1 and i tell him all the time the mclosers suck ;p

but i like their orange t-shirt so i will buy one with a ferrari scarf or something lol ppl will be like wtf what team is this guy with

It was just a newsletter. You must be able to sign up for it.

I'll be rooting for mclaren as always but I'll save my predictions for after the first few races but I think red bull will be strong the first few races at least.

You want a mclaren t shirt and a ferrari scarf? You say your cousin has bad tastes. Lol...

lol i like the bright orange t-shirt and maybe a cap of ferrari, but something

Still going to be red and orange. Lol...

red and orange isent so bad but last time the cameras where there i want them to stop me and say wtfrig? what team are you with lol

or just go in all red, but the stuff is expensive they sell, last time i bought glasses and i sun burn! lol in england!!! that never happens

usless bit of info.. but i used to go to the same college as Luise Hamilton did..

Cambridge arts and sciences and the people there can still get in contact with him, but they said its very hard to do so.

and the place i am working for is that very same college lol. but i was never there when he was