What's new

Over 210,000 Apple Fans Complaining About iPhone 7 Before it Exists; Petition for Headphone Jack

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-6plus-headphone-jack.JPG

Apple's rumored decision to ditch the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 seems to have rankled a large number of people even before the phone exists. A fairly large volume of Apple fans are irritated enough that an online petition has been started in order to reinstate the headphone jack before Apple launches the device later this year.

This online petition to "convince" Apple to add the headphone jack back into the design has already been signed by 217,000. While that number pales in comparison to the 100 Million plus owners of iPhones, it's still a decent enough sample when you consider not everyone reads the rumors that show up in Apple blogs. Here's a quote from the petition,
“Apple is about to rip off every one of its customers. Again.

If the rumours are true, the new iPhone 7 will have a non-standard, proprietary headphone jack – making every pair of headphones on earth useless. Not only will this force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones, it will singlehandedly create mountains of electronic waste – that likely won’t get recycled.”

While it seems like a fair bit of hyperbole, the concern still has some validity for many users. One could argue that it is silly to remove the headphone jack just to make the iPhone 7 even thinner. If some additional functionality could be gained by moving to the Lightning Jack for headphones, then Apple could more easily justify the decision. In fact, it's entirely possible that will be the case. The Lightning Jack could facilitate digital sound effects that are not possible over a traditional headphone jack.

Of course, in their relentless pursuit of improved aesthetics, Apple is infamous for changes like this one, and even if there are no digital sound effects to go along with this change, they are unlikely to change their mind unless the petition could garner millions of votes. Share your thoughts on this controversial topic.

Here's our dedicated iPhone 7 section for further discussion: iPhone 7 | Apple iPhone Forum

Source: Yup, Apple is ditching the standard headphone jack to screw consumers and the planet

I like the idea of getting rid of the headphone jack for the iPhone 7, as long as there's a better reason than aesthetics. If Apple could develop smart headphones, or some way to experience listening to music that was different that what can be done with a typical headphone jack, I'm more than in.

Everyone always hates when Apple switches their charging cables, but in the end, we're always happier as a result of the benefits of new technology. Shut up and stop whining.

At first I thought here we go again, Another rumour mill grinding away, However the more I read about this the more I think it could be feasible that this will happen.
Whatever Apple decide to do I will be buying iPhone 7.

I'm sure that Apple will be providing an adaptor to use headphones with the standard jack on the iPhone 7, if the rumours about the lack of a standard headphone jack on the iPhone 7 are true.

Not sure how many decades the existing 2 headphone jacks have existed for, with absolutely no complaint from users. Most hifi gear supplies ÂĽ inch, and most headphones require 3.5 mm. We just plug in an adaptor and carry on like it's not the end of the world.

Not sure how many decades the existing 2 headphone jacks have existed for, with absolutely no complaint from users. Most hifi gear supplies ÂĽ inch, and most headphones require 3.5 mm. We just plug in an adaptor and carry on like it's not the end of the world.

The 1/4 inch jack dates back to the 1870's so 140 years. The 3.5 mm jacks date back to the early transistor radios so say 60 years. :)

I like the idea of getting rid of the headphone jack for the iPhone 7, as long as there's a better reason than aesthetics. If Apple could develop smart headphones, or some way to experience listening to music that was different that what can be done with a typical headphone jack, I'm more than in.

Everyone always hates when Apple switches their charging cables, but in the end, we're always happier as a result of the benefits of new technology. Shut up and stop whining.
And those who've invested in expensive wired headphones? Many prefer wired.

I'm against doing completely away with a headphone jack. However, I wouldn't complain if they flattened the jack to make it thinner. I don't get the thinner part. Apple's obsession with thinner is ridiculous. At any rate, with a flatter jack, those with the old round jacks could get an adaptor. There would definitely be adaptors.

I am holding out for an adaptor so I can keep using the hardware I have. But I also remember how Apple handled the lightening adapter change. By the time product caught up with need, we were grateful just to be able to charge our iPhones in our cars. I fear that Apple will take so long alowing the roll-out that most will give up and just get used to doing it their way.