What's new

Offline/iCloud Music Player App?

ITGeek

Reaction score
Now that I've a pair of Airpods I'm again interested in finding if there's an app that will allow me to play my music, ripped from my CDs or purchased from Amazon, on my iPhone or iPad.

E.g.: I've created a "Music" folder in my iCloud Drive. Ideally I could point a music player app at that directory and it'd Do The Right Thing. Or at least let me manually drill-down into a sub-folder containing mp3's, select the first one, then play everything in that folder, in order.

Ideally, said app would have controls on my Apple Watch.

I also don't care if I have to first transfer the music to my phone or tablet. I can live with that, too.

I don't care if it's paid or free (w/o adverts!), as long as it actually works.

Thanks!

Thanks for the follow-up, Dave, but no Google anything. I'm trying to get as far away from Google as I can.

What's wrong with Apple Music?
I can't use that to simply point at a directory, on the device or in iCloud, and have it just plain play music. Nor do I care to subscribe to a $10/mo. service to listen to music I already own.

And the Kindle app may work for Amazon purchased music
Fine. But a good deal of my music is ripped from my CDs. So that does not solve the problem.

It's looking like, just like last time I asked this, the answer is "There ain't none?"

Wow I did not know you could do that. No need to get hostile on us.

Wow I did not know you could do that.
Rip CDs and the like on Linux (and other) operating systems? Of course you can. A lot of free software, probably most stuff with a GNU license on it, comes from the *nix world. Mac OS X is a Unix variant.

No need to get hostile on us.
"Hostile?" You saw the smiley, right?

So, in the end: There ain't none. <looks at Airpods...> They're cool, but I'm thinkin' they might be goin' back. I like our iStuff, but $150 for wireless earpods of which I cannot take full advantage seems like a poor investment.