What's new

Official iOS 6 Evasi0n Untethered Jailbreak FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Getting a lot of redundant questions both in the forums and through private messages. Here's a list of the most common questions being asked.

Updated

Q:
I'm already jailbroken on iOS 5.X.X. Do I just install iOS 6.X.X from iTunes/OTA and re-jailbreak from there or do I need to full wipe/reset first? If I just update to 6 and then jailbreak do I keep all my contacts and such in tact?

A:
If you restore through iTunes, it's a full wipe. Before restoring in any way, perform a backup first. OTA will not wipe your device, but you will not have the proper APTickets if you want to restore your device in the future. The reason why we encourage users to restore using iTunes is so that the APTickets are intact and valid. As learned from the iOS 5 crisis for iPhone 4S users, by not restoring to a fresh copy of iOS after opening the phone from its box, or by updating OTA, we did not have the proper APTickets for the re-restore feature, and many users were forced to upgrade to iOS 6. APTickets do NOT IN ANY WAY affect your ability to jailbreak, they're ONLY used to restore your device when the iOS is no longer being signed in conjunction with SHSH blobs.

Q: My Weather.app is not working. What do I do?

A: Make sure you've downloaded the latest update for the Evasi0n Untether for iOS 6 from Cydia and resprung.

Q: Some of my apps are not working, and I'm getting a lot of bugs after downloading some of my old stuff like AppSync and other piracy apps. How can I fix this?

A: Well if you weren't being a pirate, you wouldn't run into this problem now would you. We do NOT condone piracy and you will receive no help with respect to any piracy matters.

Q: Is the untethered iOS 6 jailbreak out?

A: Yes, Evasi0n has been released.

Q: Is Evasi0n released yet? (Yes, there are people asking this question)

A: Yes, Evasi0n has been released as of about noon EST on February 4th, 2013.

Q: I'm already on a TETHERED iOS 6 jailbreak. Do I need to restore?

A:
No. Simply search for "Evasi0n" and install the "Evasi0n Untethered for iOS 6.X"

Q:
I upgraded to iOS 6.0 OTA, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes

Q:
I upgraded to iOS 6.0.1 OTA, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes

Q:
I upgraded to iOS 6.0.2 OTA, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes
Q: I upgraded to iOS 6.1 OTA, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes
Q:
I upgraded to iOS 6.0 using iTunes, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes
Q:
I upgraded to iOS 6.0.1 using iTunes, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes
Q:
I upgraded to iOS 6.0.2 using iTunes, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes
Q:
I upgraded to iOS 6.1 using iTunes, can I jailbreak?

A:
Yes
Q: Is the iPhone 3GS on old bootrom jailbreakable?

A: Yes

Q: Is the iPhone 3GS on new bootrom jailbreakable?

Q: Is the iPhone 4 jailbreakable?

Q: Is the iPhone 4S jailbreakable?

Q: Is the iPhone 5 jailbreakable?

Q: Is the iPad 2 jailbreakable?

Q: Is the iPad 3 jailbreakable?

Q: Is the iPad 4 jailbreakable?

Q: Is the iPad Mini jailbreakable

A: Yes.

Q: Is iOS 6.0 jailbreakable?

Q: Is iOS 6.0.1 jailbreakable?

Q: Is iOS 6.0.2 jailbreakable?

Q: Is iOS 6.1 jailbreakable?

Q: How do I jailbreak using Evasi0n?

A: Download the version of Evasi0n that matches your OS type. Plug your device in, wait for the verification that Evasi0n can jailbreak your device, then click Jailbreak.

Q: I'm getting NetDB errors, error caching, and certain repositories not connected or being disconnected.

A: This is normal. This jailbreak is a huge jailbreak, so EVERYONE is trying to ram their heads with the server to get things downloaded. Be patient. Refresh and try again or try it again at a later time.

Q: I'm getting errors in Cydia (Http://1, 404, 500, Size Mismatch, NetDB), is my iDevice completely destroyed beyond recognition?

A: No, the servers are being overloaded with millions of requests a second. This. Is. Normal. If you can open up Cydia, that means your device is jailbroken and is fine.

Q: I'm getting boot loops and am stuck on the Apple logo after trying to install an application/tweak. What do I do? Is my device utterly unusable?

A: No. This just means that your device has either installed a fragmented download or an incompatible application/tweak. Install MobileSubstrate FIRST. This allows you to go into safe mode so that you can fix incompatibility issues.

Q: I'm stuck on the Apple logo while jailbreaking. What do I do?

A: Manually reset the device.

Q: OMG, jailbreak is too hard to use, what do I do?

A: Simply have any iOS 6 on your device, plug it into your computer, run Evasi0n, wait until Evasi0n recognizes your device, then click Jailbreak. Then when prompted to, tap on the 'Jailbreak' app on your iDevice ONCE. Let the process proceed, and let it reboot a few times. DO NOT TOUCH THE DEVICE. Yes, it will automatically reboot itself several times.

Q: I'm stuck on [insert process] for about 2 minutes now.... Is my device utterly destroyed and beyond recovery?

A: No. Some devices take longer to retrieve data than others. Give it some time. The jailbreak process can take less than a minute to as long as 15-30 minutes depending on your computer and/or your device.

Q: The process is so slow.... Can I speed it up?

A: No, do not attempt to touch your device in any way UNLESS Evasi0n says to do so. DO NOT touch your device even if there is a problem UNLESS Evasi0n says that there is an error, and that you should do X or Y.

Q: Will this brick my iPhone?

A: No, this will not brick your iPhone.

Q: Can I still unlock my iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4(on bb 01.59.00) using UltraSn0w?

A: Yes. Install UltraSn0w, and install the UltraSn0w Fixer for iOS 6.

Q: I have an IMEI/carrier unlock, can I jailbreak my device?

A: Yes. Jailbreaking does not affect unlocks or current data, it's simply applying another layer underneath everything.

Q: Is this jailbreak untethered?

A: Yes, this is an untethered jailbreak that does not care which device you're on or which version of iOS 6 you're on. iPhone 3GS or newer, iPad 2 or newer, they ALL WORK.

Q: Is Evasi0n/an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak released yet?

A: Just go back to sleep....

Last edited:
i read so many repetative questions on this forum, and i must commend u for always taking the time to help. my pateints is really thin lol. props to you for posting this. but i bet theres still going to be questions/threads out there asking the same thing u posted an answer to here.

Maybe you can add this one to the list of FAQ.

I'm already jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1 with a 4S. Do I just install iOS 6.XX from iTunes/OTA and re-jailbreak from there or do I need to full wipe/reset first? If I just update to 6 and then jailbreak do I keep all my contacts and such in tact?

Thanks and sorry for adding to the pile. I searched several threads and several different ways hoping some other dummy asked this first.

Maybe you can add this one to the list of FAQ.

I'm already jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1 with a 4S. Do I just install iOS 6.XX from iTunes/OTA and re-jailbreak from there or do I need to full wipe/reset first? If I just update to 6 and then jailbreak do I keep all my contacts and such in tact?

Thanks and sorry for adding to the pile. I searched several threads and several different ways hoping some other dummy asked this first.

Don't update, do restore instead. In restore the latest release of iOS version will be installed (in this moment 6.1).
Set as new phone, and then do jailbreak. After jailbreak completed restore your latest backup using iTunes to get all of your iPhone contents back.

I have a few questions regarding backing up a jailbroken device(and backup in general)

-Do you get the same file backing up from a jailbroken device verses a stock device?
-What will happen to folders that contains more than 16apps made possible by infinifolder tweak?
-Can you use a backup file from ios4 or 5 on ios 6?

-What exactly does the backup include?

Does it include every single setting preference in the settings app? Like notification settings for each app, wifi passwords for different places I have connected to, blue tooth devices I have connected before.

Does it include usernames and passwords saved on my apps? Or do I still have to sign into apps like gmail, facebook and bank apps which I have saved usernames/passwords?

Does it include pictures/videos captured by 3rd party camera apps that saves the pictures/videos locally? Game progress? In app settings/downloads?

Edit: Is icloud back up the same as back up to this computer via itunes?
Does the back up on my current device work for another device?(either the same module or another module like 4s to 5)

Last edited:
1) Not entirely sure what you mean. If you're backing up using iTunes on a stock and jailbroken devices, it's the same since iTunes will only backup the articles that iTunes support such as contacts, SMS, apps, notes, etc.

2) They'll be extracted from the infinifolder and placed out as if they were never in folders before.

3) Yes. You can use a lower iOS's backup on a higher iOS. But not the other way around on iOS 6. Meaning an iOS 6 backup will not work on an iOS 4 or iOS 5 device. iOS 5 backups are usable on iOS 4 though. iOS 6 is the black sheep

1) Backups include Music, videos, photos, SMS, settings, notes, app data, contacts, etc etc etc.

2) Notifications I'm not sure since I only have 2-3 notifications. But passwords and such yes excluding iTunes

3) If they're online games like Zynga Poker where you have to log in to a server, there aren't any data to save as is. But if we're talking Angry Birds, that data will be saved. Other games should be backup-able through Game Center.

4) As mentioned above, yes.

iCloud isn't as effective as iTunes in my opinion. iCloud has limited space, whereas iTunes can backup as much as your computer can hold, and it can hold MULTIPLE backups from multiple dates and time.

Your backup will work assuming you want them to. But again, remember the iOS constraints on Part 1, number 3.

Thanks guys, great advice. Jailbreaking opens up so many new possibilities.

I've read all your FAQ; however, there was one you didn't cover:

Cydia scales to a small window after downloading other applications, it doesn't happen right away, I have no clue why this is happening, I can't even uninstall Cydia because the icons are too small and won't respond; it's happened twice and I have no clue how to fix other than having to restore my iPhone 4S all over again; does anyone have any suggestions on how to reset Cydia back to it's original stage then having to go through the whole process again in order to get Cydia back to normal; see photo; thanks!

View attachment 11062

Last edited:
Exit out of Dreamboard and retry.

Untick all themes, respring and see if it fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.