What's new

Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPhone

What is the purpose of having older versions of the iOS available?
I thought I'd be able to update (a 4S) from 6.1 to 7.0 rather than a typical update to 7.1. But I'm told I can only update to the latest version currently available.

What is the purpose of having older versions of the iOS available?
I thought I'd be able to update (a 4S) from 6.1 to 7.0 rather than a typical update to 7.1. But I'm told I can only update to the latest version currently available.

when you update thru itunes, the firmware must be signed off with apple. so basically using itunes you cannot upgrade to a firmware that is not the most current one.

this list is good for people who jailbreak their phones because some of the JB programs require you to have the old firmware file ready.

What is the purpose of having older versions of the iOS available? I thought I'd be able to update (a 4S) from 6.1 to 7.0 rather than a typical update to 7.1. But I'm told I can only update to the latest version currently available.
The list is also good for those who own older devices that can't be updated to the latest iOS version. They can use these files when restoring their devices.

Last edited:
A little help please. I have an iPhone 5s 64GB LTE from Verizon. Model A1533 EMC 2642.

I put it in DFU mode and do a recover but hit option or control don't remember and then choose the IPSW file. I get error. The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible. My model is LTE and not sure if thats would be the CDMA or the GSM file but neither one works anyhow. I am on IOS 7.0.4 could that be why or is there something about my model that it won't except the files from here?

Thanks

Edited 7-31-14

I basically just did the itunes update rather than going through DFU and restore with file. So restoring the file is not working unless it may now that I am 7.1.2 and possible 7.0.4 was too old to do it the restore by file method?

Last edited:
how do you knowq if you need gsm or worldwide software , im in New Zealand

if I cant get into the general setting because the iphone5c has gone into update or recovery mode via itunes , is there a way to tell other than what you have told people in the first post ?

if I cant get into the general setting because the iphone5c has gone into update or recovery mode via itunes , is there a way to tell other than what you have told people in the first post ?
You find the model number on the back of your iPhone, and this should help identifying your device.
The model numbers are also on this site:
iPhone 5c - Technical Specifications
It will show what you need to know.

The only software you'll be able to install on your device is the one signed by Apple, which is 9.2.1. The .ipsw file for that software isn't provided in the first post. If it's possible to restore your device, iTunes will download the right iOS for your device by itself, so you don't have to do this.

i have done a dianostic report and its running firmware 8.4.1, so Can I still run the original firmware ?
anyway here is what my phone has
Quote ( UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 )
what would it be ?
also you said ( The .ipsw file for that software )
what is this what does it do ?

Last edited:
i have done a dianostic report and its running firmware 8.4.1, so Can I still run the original firmware ?
If you manage to get your iPhone (in this case not connected to iTunes) out of recovery mode, then it's possible to keep 8.4.1 installed. There's no full functioning jailbreak for that software, as far as I know.
If you can't get it out of recovery mode, iTunes will update your device to 9.2.1. There's no jailbreak for this software either.

Last edited:
Quote ( UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 )
what would it be ?

what would it be ?
I have already answered the first part of your question. Please take a look at my previous post.

What is your iPhone's model number? That's important.

An .ipsw-file is an iOS firmware restore/update file. It's a renamed .zip file. You need the right .ipsw file for your iPhone, or else it won't be possible to restore or update the iPhone. iTunes uses these files to update or restore iDevices.

iTunes downloads and installs the right version automatically when you update, so you don't have to search for it and download it to your computer.

I have already answered the first part of your question. Please take a look at my previous post.

What is your iPhone's model number? That's important.

An .ipsw-file is an iOS firmware restore/update file. It's a renamed .zip file. You need the right .ipsw file for your iPhone, or else it won't be possible to restore or update the iPhone. iTunes uses these files to update or restore iDevices.

iTunes downloads and installs the right version automatically when you update, so you don't have to search for it and download it to your computer.

sorry , A1529

thankyou very much, once downloaded (im using win 7 ) how do you upload to the phone ?
.threw itunes ?
does it do it automatically?