What's new

Now Verizon is Joining AT&T in Cracking Down on Tethering on Jailbroken Devices

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-logo.JPG

ReadWriteWeb has word today that Verizon is joining AT&T in seemingly cracking down on unauthorised hotspot tethering on smartphones. One of the website’s employees was using a jailbroken, tethered DROID X phone and accessing an unauthorised app rather than paying to use Verizon’s mobile hotspot, when she found that she was blocked from accessing web pages via any of the devices that were tethered to her DROID X by the unauthorised method. And just to ram the point home, instead of accessing the web pages that she wanted to, her device browser was directed to a Verizon Wireless web page with details of authorised mobile hotspot tethering rates! This would appear to be the first reports of Verizon taking such steps, although they are going down a slightly different route than AT&T, which dealt with the issue by simply automatically charging them more, after a warning, so it will be interesting to see if any iPhone or iPad owners have similar experiences when attempting unauthorised tethering on jailbroken devices.

Source: Verizon Blocks Hotspot Tethering for Jailbroken Devices, via BGR

I understand that, as a business, they need to do this because they are losing money. This way was a good alternative to ditch the wireless ISP service, and just get internet from tethering, but looks like all the companies are beginning to smarten up.

First off, VZW isn't losing money. At best they are missing out on possible revenue from people that don't realize VZW wants to double charge for something they already have. VZW is being 100% smart about this. They waited until enough people were hooked so that when they cut off their "life line" to the internet, that those people will finally start paying. I said over a year ago VZW knew who was tethering illegally and it was just a matter of time before they sprung their plan.

I had MiWi on my phone but deleted it because I didn't use it. If they say I am tethering when I am not, I am gonna walk into that store and sh!t is gonna get real.

First off, VZW isn't losing money. At best they are missing out on possible revenue from people that don't realize VZW wants to double charge for something they already have. VZW is being 100% smart about this. They waited until enough people were hooked so that when they cut off their "life line" to the internet, that those people will finally start paying. I said over a year ago VZW knew who was tethering illegally and it was just a matter of time before they sprung their plan.

*losing out on possible money, my mistake haha. But yeah, I totally see what you mean. They're even way overcharging for texting, so why not for this too.

I really don't mind paying for tethering, but I am concerned about using a lot of my battery when tethering to my ipad. Does anyone know how long I should be able to use it for with a full battery charge? It seems to me that phone batteries are not designed to withstand being used as a hotspot for a long time.