What's new

Noob with an iphone 4 IOS 4.2.1 & a PC - where do I start?

SPEEED

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I'm a novice user to the iPhone. This is my first iPhone, and I've had it for about a month now. I've seen the amazing things that can be achieved with a jailbroken phone. My question is: Can someone point me to a good online reference with regards to the jailbreaking process? I know nothing about it, other than the very basic differences between tethered and untethered jailbreaks.

I also understand that currently, there is no untethered version for iOS 4.2 - is that correct?

If someone can point me to good reference on how to safely jailbreak the phone, step by step, I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome,

If I were you I would wait until the untethered jailbreak is out. As your new to jailbreaking and iPhones all together I would advise staying away from tethered just now. The untethered jailbreak should be with us in a week or two.

If you still can't wait everything you need to know can be found here...

Welcome,

If I were you I would wait until the untethered jailbreak is out. As your new to jailbreaking and iPhones all together I would advise staying away from tethered just now. The untethered jailbreak should be with us in a week or two.

If you still can't wait everything you need to know can be found here...

Thank you very much!

Quick question: suppose, I were to jailbreak it now with the tethered version. Once the un-tethered one comes out, can't I just install the un-tethered edition of redsn0w, while keeping the jailbreaked settings in place?

I think that's the way they are trying to work it but I'm not sure it will happen. I looks like a different jailbreaking program will provide the untethered jailbreak so you may have to restore in iTunes before applying the new jailbreak. I could be wrong though...

I think that's the way they are trying to work it but I'm not sure it will happen. I looks like a different jailbreaking program will provide the untethered jailbreak so you may have to restore in iTunes before applying the new jailbreak. I could be wrong though...

if you restore with itunes and then jailbreak and install appsync before restoring from backup it keeps all your apps on the phone. it will not keep them in the folders tho ifyou have created them. im not sure about how the new j/b will work but the above has been my experience over the last few days of repeated restore/jailbreak.

Thanks! @Speeed for writing this post, I'M the same as you and I wanted to know the same info. Also thank for the info gav1 & gaz6076.