What's new

jasel1978

Reaction score
I’m helping fix my relatives iPhone 7.
He’s in his 80’s. He’ll get a call from someone and when he answers it, they can’t hear him.
He said the caller kept saying “hello” & “are you there”.
So he can hear them fine, they just can’t hear him.
Other times when this is going on, you can sometimes just barely hear the other caller and they can barely hear you.
Do it could be the:
-Built in Microphone that’s you talk into
-the volume switch on side of phone
-maybe the ring/silent switch
Running the highest iOS it can still use.
There’s plenty of room on the phone, he’s in his 80’s and just uses it for an emergency.
He said this don’t happen though if he answers the phone and puts it directly on speaker phone.

Any opinions on this?
Thanks in advance!

I’m helping fix my relatives iPhone 7.
He’s in his 80’s. He’ll get a call from someone and when he answers it, they can’t hear him.
He said the caller kept saying “hello” & “are you there”.
So he can hear them fine, they just can’t hear him.
Other times when this is going on, you can sometimes just barely hear the other caller and they can barely hear you.
Do it could be the:
-Built in Microphone that’s you talk into
-the volume switch on side of phone
-maybe the ring/silent switch
Running the highest iOS it can still use.
There’s plenty of room on the phone, he’s in his 80’s and just uses it for an emergency.
He said this don’t happen though if he answers the phone and puts it directly on speaker phone.

Any opinions on this?
Thanks in advance!
Can you double-check the phone is running iOS 15.8, the latest possible. One thought comes to mind - does your relative wear hearing aids? These can interfere with an iPhone’s microphone.

Sounds like his proximity sensor may be an issue if it works for speaker. But try this: Apple controls are specific to the app being used. What this means is if I raise the volume when listening to music, it doesn’t raise the volume for calls and vice versa. While actually on a call, take the call off speaker and use the volume up button to raise the volume. It will not work if it is not on an active call. If this doesn’t work try going into Settings>Accessibility>Touch>scroll down to Call Audio Routing and change the settings. Then change it back to Automatic. Or put it on speaker if that is what your friend prefers. If you can’t sort it out Apple will check the iPhone for free to see if there is a hardware problem and they might also be able to tell you something else to try. Good luck.