What's new

No sound emanates from my phone

jmt356

Reaction score
Why does no sound emanate from my phone? My alarm causes my phone to vibrate but not emanate any sound. When I play music, there is no sound either. I have the volume turned all the way up.

Can you hear sound in the headphones when they're plugged in?

Last edited:
How would I know if mute is switched on? I have the volume all the way up.

The Mute switch is next to the Volume buttons. If you see the red part, which is usually not visible when you can hear sound, then it's muted. Toggle the switch to the other side, so that it covers the colour.

On some models it's called the "ring/silent switch" and is illustrated on approximately page 12 of the user manual. Look in the index for "buttons"

It's called the ring/silent switch in this picture and it is a toggle above the volumn buttons on the side of the phone.
image.png

If the ring/silent switch is not your problem, try resetting your phone. Press and hold the home button and on/off button at the same time. Hold until phone shuts down. Wait a moment, then press and hold on/off button until the white Apple symbol appears on your screen. Wait for your phone to wake up. Speakers should now work.

I am not sure if the issue was with the silent / mute switch and did not check whether I could hear sounds from the headphones. Before I had a chance to check these other issues, I reset the phone due to another issue (inability to receive calls), which got the sound back.

jmt356, I can't tell you why, but what you described has happened to my phone more than once. Resetting it "fixed" it each time.