What's new

No service/searching help?

gastra

Reaction score
Since i updated my unlocked and jailbroken 3gs i have had "no service/searching" i'm on 5.1.1 (regreting every second of it) and modem firmware is 05.16.05.
Serial is xx933
Could i use this jailbreak and unlock? How To Unlock iPhone 3Gs 5.1 for Tmobile – 5.16.05 to 6.15.00 & Fix No Service Error – Redsn0w 0.9.10b6*|*EverythingApplePro
I'm really confused about it all i checked to see if the phone was imei blocked and it isnt i dont want to lose gps either as i use this as sat nav any help greatly appreciated.

Also is my bootrom old or new? feel free to link me to any sites that you feel may help and thanks for looking!

[iBoot-359.3]"

Last edited:
gastra said:
Since i updated my unlocked and jailbroken 3gs i have had "no service/searching" i'm on 5.1.1 (regreting every second of it) and modem firmware is 05.16.05.
Serial is xx933
Could i use this jailbreak and unlock? How To Unlock iPhone 3Gs 5.1 for Tmobile – 5.16.05 to 6.15.00 & Fix No Service Error – Redsn0w 0.9.10b6*|*EverythingApplePro
I'm really confused about it all i checked to see if the phone was imei blocked and it isnt i dont want to lose gps either as i use this as sat nav any help greatly appreciated.

Also is my bootrom old or new? feel free to link me to any sites that you feel may help and thanks for looking!

[iBoot-359.3]"

You cannot restore an unlocked iPhone without restoring to a *custom iPSW*.

If you just plugged in your phone and clicked update...or shift+restored to a stock iPSW...then you lost your unlock "permanently".

You cannot downgrade baseband.

You are completely out of luck on the unlock my friend. Sorry.

So your saying this phone will never be unlocked again? there are video's on youtube of people getting service back, Just like the one about its still on 05.16.05 but now 5.1.1 so that leaves me very confused as people seem to have a tethered jailbreak running on 5.1.1 and that also fixes the no service issue o_O once again i'm confused.

gastra said:
So your saying this phone will never be unlocked again? there are video's on youtube of people getting service back, Just like the one about its still on 05.16.05 but now 5.1.1 so that leaves me very confused as people seem to have a tethered jailbreak running on 5.1.1 and that also fixes the no service issue o_O once again i'm confused.

Just because you can jailbreak 5.1.1 does not mean you can unlock it.

Jailbreaking and unlocking are 2 completely different things.

Jailbreaking is iOS specific..and baseband does not matter at all. All jailbreaking does is install Cydia...that's it. Has nothing to with unlocking itself.

Unlocking requires you to be on a certain baseband that is unlockable...and there hasn't been an update for recent baseband unlocking for over a year and a half.

Once you update to stock iOS then your baseband gets updated too, and that cannot be undone.

Now you *might* be able to flash the 6.15 iPad baseband to your phone which would make it unlockable...but I have no idea if it's compatible with 5.1.1....the unlocking software I mean.

when your device is unlocked then you must always create a custom iPSW to restore to. The custom iPSW prevent baseband from upgrading.

I don't know how an unlocker would not read that MAJOR precaution somewhere while reading a guide on unlocking in the first place.

It's unlocking rule #1. NEVER UPDATE TO STOCK iOS.

But of you were able to flash the iPad baseband (which you would have to find that guide yourself) then that flash is *permanent*. Meaning the baseband will always be unlockable and you will *never* be able to restore stock ever again. Like ever again.

You will *always* have to build a custom iPSW that has no Baseband with tools like redsn0w, Sn0ebreeze, iFaith and restore to those types of iPSWs forever.

Which really isn't a bad thing...but thought you should know.

Last edited:
For some reason its an untethered jailbreak o_O anyway still same issue :/

gastra said:
For some reason its an untethered jailbreak o_O anyway still same issue :/

If your on 5.1.1 and you have an untethered jailbreak that means that you have the old bootrom 3GS.

However you should make sure to check to see whether the jailbreak is actually untethered.

You can still reboot in iOS 5 with a tethered jailbreak but when you do Cydia and anything from Cydia will not work, as well as Safari.

If Cydia and anything from Cydia does not work after rebooting then that means its still a tethered jailbreak and you need to boot tethered with redsn0w or iBooty, depending on what you jailbroken with.

If you jailbroken with redsn0w then you need to plug in phone, enter DFU mode, and click the "Just boot" button.

If everything works fine after rebooting without the assistance of redsn0w's "Just boot" then you do have an old bootrom 3GS that actually is untethered.

Yeah cydia and the browser work after a turn off and on i'm just gutted i cant use it as a phone ive tried a number of things including the ipad baseband but nothing seems to work, will absynth sort out the network issue? or could i request an unlock code? anything at all to get the phone up and running would be great i know its not blocked as i checked with the online imei checker.
once again thanks for any and all help.

gastra said:
Yeah cydia and the browser work after a turn off and on i'm just gutted i cant use it as a phone ive tried a number of things including the ipad baseband but nothing seems to work, will absynth sort out the network issue? or could i request an unlock code? anything at all to get the phone up and running would be great i know its not blocked as i checked with the online imei checker.
once again thanks for any and all help.

The phone just sounds defected to me. Jailbreaking will do nothing for network. Absinthe isn't even out for 5.1.1.

The iPad baseband was baaaaad idea. That is for unlocks ONLY. An iPhone 3GS does not need to be unlocked to run on Straight Talk. The iPad baseband is probably WHY the phone will not activate. I don't know for sure tho.

What I do know for sure:

Now that you have the iPad baseband on there...you can NEVER get rid of it. That baseband flash is PERMANENT.

You will never be able to change the baseband.

Seriously...I would put the phone on eBay or Craigslist stating it has the iPad baseband.

I think you completely blew your chances of using Straight Talk when you installed the iPad baseband...and that CANNOT be undone at all. Just not possible.

All it needed was reflashing, Its now open to all networks jailbroken and untethered.<br><br>Now you *might* be able to flash the 6.15 iPad baseband to your phone
which would make it unlockable...but I have no idea if it's compatible
with 5.1.1....the unlocking software I mean. <br><br>The iPad baseband was baaaaad idea. That is for unlocks ONLY. An iPhone
3GS does not need to be unlocked to run on Straight Talk. The iPad
baseband is probably WHY the phone will not activate. I don't know for
sure tho. <br><br>In one breath you say ipad baseband in the next you say it was a bad idea, Why suggest such a bad idea? Rhetorical Question btw no need to answer.

gastra said:
All it needed was reflashing, Its now open to all networks jailbroken and untethered.<br><br>Now you *might* be able to flash the 6.15 iPad baseband to your phone
which would make it unlockable...but I have no idea if it's compatible
with 5.1.1....the unlocking software I mean. <br><br>The iPad baseband was baaaaad idea. That is for unlocks ONLY. An iPhone
3GS does not need to be unlocked to run on Straight Talk. The iPad
baseband is probably WHY the phone will not activate. I don't know for
sure tho. <br><br>In one breath you say ipad baseband in the next you say it was a bad idea, Why suggest such a bad idea? Rhetorical Question btw no need to answer.

Because I don't know for sure. That's why.

From my experience the iPad baseband will permanently ruin your Location Services / GPS, making your network to "crash" every other minute and make your phone rather useless. However if you're in no way dependent on GPS/Google Earth/Location Services, this can be seen as an alternative.
And I wouldn't trust the words "never" in this World, but given the timeframe, it's obvious that the priority given to a baseband downgrade is not been looked at seriously.

In the meanwhile I think I might have just "killed" my 3GS as well with this ridiculous 5.1.1

Well done again Apple!

I've just got it back. There's a method through Cydia explained in several forums now where adding a 5.1.1 fix and then another package from the same supplier will do the trick. For some it didn't work. Luckly for me it just has!

Hope it helps mate!