What's new

no recovery >.<

reddragoncorvette

Reaction score
ok i got an iphone 3g from my brother. he had it jailbroken and when i got it i went to erase all content and settings under general settings. since then it wont boot. it gets stuck on the apple logo. i put it into recovery mode and now its stuck there. in itunes it detects it but when i restore it it gets 90 percent done then comes up with the error that the iphone cannot be restored due to unknown error. i tried putting it into dfu mode but the same thing happens. is there anything i can do to restore it?

reddragoncorvette said:
ok i got an iphone 3g from my brother. he had it jailbroken and when i got it i went to erase all content and settings under general settings. since then it wont boot. it gets stuck on the apple logo. i put it into recovery mode and now its stuck there. in itunes it detects it but when i restore it it gets 90 percent done then comes up with the error that the iphone cannot be restored due to unknown error. i tried putting it into dfu mode but the same thing happens. is there anything i can do to restore it?

Erase all content and settings does not work on a jailbroken iPhone.

Plus...that's not "truly" restoring.

You will have to download the iOS 4.2.1 iPSW. Save it to desktop.

Then plug in iPhone and enter DFU mode. NOT recovery mode. Watch a YouTube video on DFU mode. Easy.

Then open iTunes, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while you click the restore button in iTunes...then select your 4.2.1 iPSW.

The restore will finish and you can then start using your very old iPhone.

Erase all content and settings does not work on a jailbroken iPhone.

Plus...that's not "truly" restoring.

You will have to download the iOS 4.2.1 iPSW. Save it to desktop.

Then plug in iPhone and enter DFU mode. NOT recovery mode. Watch a YouTube video on DFU mode. Easy.

Then open iTunes, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while you click the restore button in iTunes...then select your 4.2.1 iPSW.

The restore will finish and you can then start using your very old iPhone.

ok that may be where i screwed up. i just hit restore in itunes once it was in dfu mode. thanks. im trying that now

ok i have the 4.2.1 firmware. itunes is updated to the newest version. i tried what was posted but it still failed.

reddragoncorvette said:
ok i have the 4.2.1 firmware. itunes is updated to the newest version. i tried what was posted but it still failed.

Are you sure?

You entered DFU (black/blank screen) then shift+restored to 4.2.1 iPSW on your desktop?

yes im sure about all that. i finally downloaded redsnow and followed the instructions on youtube about how to jailbreak it. it got me out of stuck recovery and now its working lol. it still took about 6 times. thanks for the help though