What's new

no need for Find My iphone app?

Find my iPhone can work on iPhone 3 and 3GS too | Steve Dolphin is the last edit in that post perhaps suggesting one does not need to install FMI first in order to map lost iphone3gs and later,just icloud account (if so can you add the phone to an exixting icloud acct after it is stolen)?
One does not need the app. It helps a lot when there are more than one device. Example: A family with 4 iPhones. The app just makes it a bit easier.

One does not need the app. It helps a lot when there are more than one device. Example: A family with 4 iPhones. The app just makes it a bit easier.

thanks but how about activating FMI to work without having the device with you?For example if you upgrade the mobile.me account to icloud somehow should that enable FMI or just provide the option to activate it (with the iphone in hand)
All about iCloud: Common signup scenarios | Macworld
hat if I upgrade to iCloud and I’m still running iOS 4?

If you have a device that’s still running iOS 4, you’ll be able to activate Find My device by adding a MobileMe account under the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars pane in the Settings app, but you’ll need to set up your iCloud mail, contacts, and calendars manually

thanks but how about activating FMI to work without having the device with you?For example if you upgrade the mobile.me account to icloud somehow should that enable FMI or just provide the option to activate it (with the iphone in hand) All about iCloud: Common signup scenarios | Macworld hat if I upgrade to iCloud and I’m still running iOS 4? If you have a device that’s still running iOS 4, you’ll be able to activate Find My device by adding a MobileMe account under the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars pane in the Settings app, but you’ll need to set up your iCloud mail, contacts, and calendars manually
You actually need at least iOS 5 to use iCloud. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4759