What's new

No Internet means Battery easily drained ?

upin_cool

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new with this iphone gadget, i have iphone 4 with 4.2.1 OS, and here's my problem:
i have no problem with my battery before,recently i had unlimited internet subscription for two weeks, i must say iphone's battery not so savvy when u use it for internet activity, but it's OK though. main problem is, after 2 weeks, my subscriptions is over, and i didnt extend it.
then, problems appear,from 100% full charged, my battery drainned to 10% only a night (around 7-8hours).
what happen ? i suspect that iphone still searching internet connection, i have closed wifi, cellular data and enable 3G is off.
it already happen to me twice, last time problem solved by re-installing OS.
but, it happen again after i used unlimited internet subscription, and not extend it anymore.
now, i tried disabling my push account (mail, contacts,calendar all off), i just praying it works.
if not, please help me...what happen to my iphone ?

Yes now it will not drain anymore, also you will want to disable the location services for all your apps that use it. Try to close all apps from the multitask bar as well before go to bed and check the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, as bab2010 wrote, close ALL your apps in the task bar when not in use!!!!! If all your apps are closed, then there's NOTHING for the iPhone to do -- to use battery life.

Now, if you do as we wrote and you still are having major battery problems, write back.

Yes, as bab2010 wrote, close ALL your apps in the task bar when not in use!!!!! If all your apps are closed, then there's NOTHING for the iPhone to do -- to use battery life.

Now, if you do as we wrote and you still are having major battery problems, write back.

This is not entirely true. I have been having issues with my phone losing 10-15% of its battery while I sleep. EVERY SINGLE APP CLOSED vis double-tab of home button. Location services off, and all push notifications are off. I set my mail to fetch hourly and I still have this issue.

I did another test by turning off 3G (Verizon) and WiFi and i used 3% respectively. So, even though the apps are stopped it appears that SOME are still able to do as they please, even when not opened.

Your phone will always use some battery even with all apps closed and in standby mode. It goes with all phones not just the iPhone. It still needs to use battery to check for incoming calls, texts etc. Also if you leave wifi or mobile data on that will still use up battery life even when not in use...

Well........... I believe gaz... said it best: you'll always have battery drain as long as your phone is on. However, I strongly disagree with your statement that closed apps can still drain the battery. Unless someone can prove otherwise, not a chance! Still, it's an interesting discussion.

Well........... I believe gaz... said it best: you'll always have battery drain as long as your phone is on. However, I strongly disagree with your statement that closed apps can still drain the battery. Unless someone can prove otherwise, not a chance! Still, it's an interesting discussion.

Well actually it's like he said... It's common sense that the phone app and messaging app will always need to remain on in the background to check for incoming calls or texts. And there is always, unless notifications are off, a process running to check for third party notifications. Other apps always having a small task running include, but not limited to, clock app, calendar app, etc.

....It's common sense that the phone app and messaging app will always need to remain on in the background to check for incoming calls or texts. And there is always, unless notifications are off, a process running to check for third party notifications. Other apps always having a small task running include, but not limited to, clock app, calendar app, etc.

All correct. However, these minor background functions wouldn't account for the original poster's 10% drop in battery life... By the way, has the original poster even seen (much less replied) to this thread?

A 10-15% drop overnight in battery sounds about right if you leave wifi and 3G on...

hi, here's the original poster, first, i'd like to express my gratitude to Bab2010, thanks for your idea "Yes now it will not drain anymore, also you will want to disable the location services for all your apps that use it."
and, i dont experiencing "losing 90% battery over a night" again, so here's some tips from me:
1. when you dont have internet subscription (no internet connection), please disable your push account (mail, contacts,calendars), switch "fetch new data" to "OFF".
2. also disable "Location service" (credit to Bab2010), but this hasnt proven by myself, i havent try enabling location service, while turns off "cellular data" and "3G", would it also drainning your battery extremely
and, to another valued friends, thanks for your attention, btw, it's not less 10% in 1 night, but dropped to 10% only (means less 90%).
and for EWyatt "close ALL your apps in the task bar when not in use!!!!! If all your apps are closed, then there's NOTHING for the iPhone to do -- to use battery life."
uh, i'd say "WRONG ANSWER...!!!!!" since i already closed all applications, but still happen losing 90% battery (caused by push service, perhaps it still searching internet connections, sometimes searching network/connection could be tiresome for phone).

that's all folks.

This is not entirely true. I have been having issues with my phone losing 10-15% of its battery while I sleep. EVERY SINGLE APP CLOSED vis double-tab of home button. Location services off, and all push notifications are off. I set my mail to fetch hourly and I still have this issue.

I did another test by turning off 3G (Verizon) and WiFi and i used 3% respectively. So, even though the apps are stopped it appears that SOME are still able to do as they please, even when not opened.

perhaps this caused by iphone it self sending data to APPLE or to steve personally...haha

perhaps this caused by iphone it self sending data to APPLE or to steve personally...haha

Interesting discussion. I hope you follow up and get back with us if you resolve this battery problem. The reason I'm so psyched about "closing" all apps is because it works for me. I use extremely little battery life by keeping my apps closed when not in use and keeping my 3G and cellular off as well, while at the house. Good luck....