What's new

No "custom ringtones" folder on phone? Help!

Xia

Reaction score
I just created some new ringtones for my phone (using this method: How to add custom ringtones to your iPhone?) but when I went to my phone's settings to use them, they weren't there. I could not find them anywhere. According to Itunes they are in the library and on my phone, but they don't show up under my phones Settings>Sounds>Ringtones section. I looked online to see if I could find any help for this, and someone said to look in the "Custom" folder/section' under Ringtones. Well, there IS no "Custom" listing in there anywhere! Help please??
I made my own ringtones before using the same method and it worked fine, I use them on my phone all the time so why isn't it working now??

Could be a number of things.

What I do is make sure "Manually Manage Music" is checked in the summary tab, click "Apply".

Then I open up the "Tones" section of iTunes highlight all of them and simply drag and drop them to my phone. Woks every time. Maybe that will work for you.

What I do is make sure "Manually Manage Music" is checked in the summary tab, click "Apply".
Where do I find the summary tab?

Xia said:
Where do I find the summary tab?

It's the large window in iTunes that shows your phone number, serial number, and iOS version.

Ok I checked, "Manually manage music" is already checked and I tried dragging/dropping the tones to the phone. Itunes shows the tones as being on the phone, but there is still no custom ringtones folder/section in the tones setting on the phone and the tones don't show up in the list of ringtones that is there. :(

Xia said:
Ok I checked, "Manually manage music" is already checked and I tried dragging/dropping the tones to the phone. Itunes shows the tones as being on the phone, but there is still no custom ringtones folder/section in the tones setting on the phone and the tones don't show up in the list of ringtones that is there. :(

Have you tries hard rebooting your phone?

Zig's method is the easiest and works every time for me
To be sure you are looking in the right place on your phone....
It depends on whether you look for Alert Tones or Ring Tones where they show up
Custom tones are at the top of the ringtones list which is after (below) the alert tone list if you search an Alert Tone and at the top of the list if you search a Ringtone in Settings -> Sounds
All designed to make things easy which can be confusing if like me you come from a PC background.
There is no Custom Ringtones label like in the tutorial you looked at, only a section with a slightly thicker line to seperate it from the stock tones

Last edited:
I tried a hard reboot, still not showing up. I did try to put some other ringtones I had made a while back on though and those showed up, so I think it must be something about the new ringtones I made that is causing them not to show up. i can't figure out what the difference is though because I made these ringtones the exact same way as I made those! They are not too long or anything, either.
All the ringtones are showing up in the "Tones" in Itunes as being on the iphone, but the ones I just made are not showing up in the tones list on the actual phone.

Then I open up the "Tones" section of iTunes highlight all of them and simply drag and drop them to my phone. Woks every time. Maybe that will work for you.

I can't find any "Tones" section within iTunes. Not in the program or on the device.

Is it hidden until I make a change somewhere within iTunes? I wanted to add a simple mp3 sound but it appears it's not as simple as "drag N drop".

Actually it is as simple as drag and drop.

There will be no "Tones" section unless you drag and drop a ringtone into the Music Library. Then a "Tones" section shows.

You cannot use .mp3 files for ringtones. It has to be a ".m4r" file and has to be 30 seconds or less.

As long as the file is not longer then 30 seconds, and you change the extension from .mp3 to .m4r, you should be able to simply drag and drop the .m4r files to iTunes.

I am having a very similar problem.
I have one new alert on my iphone4s which appears above the slightly thicker grey line in alert tones in sounds-ringtone. Idownloaded this by clicking the buy more tones tab and it offered the option to make it default which I chose. Now it's like a cuckoo's egg I can't get rid of it.
When trying to add other alerts everything goes well, up to the point where I have created the ringtone/alert as a .m4r file. I can copy this from explorer into the tones section of the itunes library ok, I can even paste it on the tones section of my phone.
When I click sync the phone seems to overrule and the single alert which is above the slightly thicker line seems to dominate. The new alert disappears and the existing one is back. I can't untick the old one or delete it from the phone or in itunes as it seems to be locked.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Hey there zig9449.
I spent over 3 hours searching internet to properly transfer and use custom ringtones for my 4s. I found a super fast way to convert it through GarageBand, being a big music dude, but your simple and finally advice kept me from almost giving up on the whole process.
Thanks much and I completely agree, works perfect.
Thanks again! Raynman