What's new

Newbie needs help

MtbDave71

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm obviously new to the forum and looking for advice on jail breaking my iPhone 4 5.1.
What are the benefits and what decent apps are there for me to consider doing this.
I've had my iPhone 4 for from when they first came out and I'm not entirely happy with it these days.
1: because I feel screen is on the small side compared to my friends galaxy s2
2: I've had a go on a ice cream sandwich phone and it's really nice OS.
I feel even though it has a smaller screen my iPhone 4 needs a pep up.
Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
Hopefully the next iPhone will have larger screen or I'm moving away from apple phones.

Hi Unleashed, what's your reasoning for not jail breaking yet?

At the moment there is only a Tethered jailbreak for NON A5 devices and so you have the option to tether jailbreak it would mean you would have to re-jailbreak the device every time you restart the iphone

His reasoning for this suggestion is probably because it is a tethered jailbreak, which usually is not the best to start with when your a new jailbreaker. It is what I started with....and I'm kind of glad I did, because when the untethered came out, it was just gravy.

However there are some caveats to a tethered jailbreak. A tethered jailbreak (in iOS 5) is when you have to reboot your phone with redsn0w to boot it back up into a normal jailbroken state. If you reboot without booting tethered, then your phone will work fine aside from Cydia, and anything from Cydia, along with Safari not working at all. Your phone will not return to a regular jailbroken state until you boot tethered with redsn0w again. Quite simple once you get the hang of, and you would be surprised how long one can go without having to reboot there phone at all. What I do is plug in my phone, open redsn0w, click "Extras". Then I enter DFU mode. Once I here the beep on the computer, I click "Just boot", and your phone will boot into it's fully functional state.

An untethered jailbreak is the opposite. You can reboot your phone normally and it will boot back up with all functionality, with no need to tether it to redsn0w during boot up.

I personally think it's better for new jailbreakers to start off with a tethered jailbreak, simply because it gets them prepared and familiar with redsn0w. and helps them to take caution with there jailbreak. Then when the Untethered gest released it's usually as simple as running the new redsn0w over the original jailbreak, and "uncheck" install Cydia.......since it was already installed. Except nowadays there is a package in Cydia(Corona) that is updated as untethers are released, that you can install, and it will untether your tethered jailbreak.

It's honestly think it's not that bad...and should a time come when you must reboot when away from a computer with redsn0w on it, your phone still works. It can makes/receive calls, send/receive SMS/MMS, browse the web, etc. However you cannot browse the web with safari. You would have to use a different web browser from the app store. I recommend Atomic Web Browser, google search, or Yandex Opera Mini.

Before, in the iOS 4 and lower days........a tethered jailbreak meant that you could not reboot your phone at all. If you did, you would just be stuck at the Apple logo, forever.............until you boot tethered with redsn0w or iBooty.

Some people may not recommend a tethered jailbreak for new users........and I can completely understand why............But that is what my first jailbreak was, and I'm glad it was.........as when the untethered was released,...........you felt a slight bit of relief,.........and should you happen to get stuck with another tethered jailbreak............at least you'll already know exactly what your doing, and how to go about it.

If you do decide to jailbreak I recommend you watch some YouTube videos. Just follow what they do, and you should be good. i highly recommend you watch the process be done instead of just read about how to do. Not that it's hard to do at all..........but there is comfort in it I think.

A tip for if you do jailbreak tethered.

If you happen to install something from Cydia, and you see the "Reboot Device" button. DO NOT tap that button. Save yourself some time, and plug in the phone, turn it off via "slide to power off", enter DFU mode, then Open redsn0w and click the "Just boot" button. It's a time saver.

Plus most tweaks don't require a reboot after install anyway. just a few tweaks do like WinterBoard(iPhone theming/GUI mods), and Spire(Siri on iPhone 4).

However the choice is up to you. You can always come to this forum for help. I'm glad to help new jailbreakers.

Thanks for taking the time to explain things for me zig9449. I work for myself and very rarely turn my iPhone off anyway so may be a good start for me.