What's new

New to iPhone - Some Frustrations

BBallard

Reaction score
Hello,

As the subject line says, I'm new to iPhone, but not to iOS - I've been a Mac user for years. Switching from Android to iOS has been something of a challenge at times though. I've figured out most things on my own, but there are somethings I can't seem to find a solution for. Here's my Top 3:

1. Correcting typos. If I type in a text, email, etc., "I'll see you at they restaurant at 7, looking forward to it," I can't place the3 cursor at the word 'they' to make the change to 'the.' When I try to place the cursor in the right spot, it simply won't move there. If there are other lines in the message, the cursor usually lands on a line above or below the line I'm trying to fix. I also get a dialog box, which covers much of the line, to 'copy,' 'cut,' or 'select.' The closest I can ever get is that after several tries, I place the cursor at the end of the line in question, and delete the characters to where I need to fix the error. There must be a better way!!!

2. Predictive text is not 'learning' anything at all. As an example I type the words 'marina' and 'marine' a lot - I work with boats - yet the predictive text AI insists I mean 'Martina,' 'Mary,' 'make,' 'making,' and so on. After nearly six months with the phone, I thought it would have figured out some things by now. Is there any setting I need to check, or to tweak?

3. The on/off switch on the upper left side of the body is constantly getting switched off, even though the phone is in a case -an Apple case - which is specifically designed to prevent this. Solutions?

Thanks!!

Hello,

As the subject line says, I'm new to iPhone, but not to iOS - I've been a Mac user for years. Switching from Android to iOS has been something of a challenge at times though. I've figured out most things on my own, but there are somethings I can't seem to find a solution for. Here's my Top 3:

1. Correcting typos. If I type in a text, email, etc., "I'll see you at they restaurant at 7, looking forward to it," I can't place the3 cursor at the word 'they' to make the change to 'the.' When I try to place the cursor in the right spot, it simply won't move there. If there are other lines in the message, the cursor usually lands on a line above or below the line I'm trying to fix. I also get a dialog box, which covers much of the line, to 'copy,' 'cut,' or 'select.' The closest I can ever get is that after several tries, I place the cursor at the end of the line in question, and delete the characters to where I need to fix the error. There must be a better way!!!

2. Predictive text is not 'learning' anything at all. As an example I type the words 'marina' and 'marine' a lot - I work with boats - yet the predictive text AI insists I mean 'Martina,' 'Mary,' 'make,' 'making,' and so on. After nearly six months with the phone, I thought it would have figured out some things by now. Is there any setting I need to check, or to tweak?

3. The on/off switch on the upper left side of the body is constantly getting switched off, even though the phone is in a case -an Apple case - which is specifically designed to prevent this. Solutions?

Thanks!!
Hello! I am sure you will soon get the hang of the iPhone. When you are trying to move the cursor, you need to directly tap on it and hold and move without letting go. If you tap and hold anywhere else you will get various options, such as “copy”.

I must admit I very quickly gave up on Predictive Text and switched it off!

Are you referring to the Mute switch (which is on the top left of the phone)? There is not much you can do other than try and keep the phone away from anything that might catch the button.

Hello! I am sure you will soon get the hang of the iPhone. When you are trying to move the cursor, you need to directly tap on it and hold and move without letting go. If you tap and hold anywhere else you will get various options, such as “copy”.

I must admit I very quickly gave up on Predictive Text and switched it off!

Are you referring to the Mute switch (which is on the top left of the phone)? There is not much you can do other than try and keep the phone away from anything that might catch the button.
Yes, the mute switch - thanks! I turned off the predictive text as well.

You're accidentally turning the ring/silent switch off? You want that on all the time? If so, how can you hear your phone ring?

You're accidentally turning the ring/silent switch off? You want that on all the time? If so, how can you hear your phone ring?
It's getting switched off accidentally, yes. I'm a bit confused as to how, because it's recessed not only in the phone itself, but also by the case. When i want to move it manually, I have to really push a fingernail in there.

It's getting switched off accidentally, yes. I'm a bit confused as to how, because it's recessed not only in the phone itself, but also by the case. When i want to move it manually, I have to really push a fingernail in there.

Is there a reason you need it on?

Hello,

Thanks!!
For #1 try this: it basically tells you to long hold, then while still holding move your finger to the exact spot. But look at the link, it explains it better thanI am.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi12qiGiKT7AhXBHjQIHeZXDjAQFnoECBMQAw&url=https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-drag-drop-cursor-while-typing-your-iphone-new-ios-13&usg=AOvVaw3P4M_4FfwXo08ErlKh1t4r