What's new

New to iPhone and this forum

DeadnotSleepin

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a former android user and I just made the switch this week to the Verizon iPhone. Just a little background on myself, I'm 25 years old and in school to become a law enforcement officer. I am a former Marine, Semper Fi. Now onto my question, to jailbreak my iPhone can I just download a jailbroken IPSW (I think that is what it is called) and load it on my phone via iTunes? If so where can I find one?

Welcome,

To jailbreak your phone I would suggest creating you own custom ipsw using snowbreeze...

Correct me if I'm wrong but for snowbreeze I would have to download the stock ipsw for it? Is there a way to get one that is in a zip file so I don't have to spend 3 hrs downloading it?
Thanks for the fast response

If you've ever restored your phone or updated it then it should already be on your computer. Enable hidden folders and go to

On Windows XP :
Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Windows Vista/Windows 7:
Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Mac:
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

If not then yes you will have to download it. I will put the link at the bottom of this post for you. A zipped ipsw won't save you much in the way of time. It shouldn't take any more than 45mins to download on a 3mbps connection (that's what I have).

The problem with getting a custom firmware form someone else is that you don't know what they have done to it. There are a good few options in snowbreeze. I wouldn't be surprised if there were files out there claiming to be custom ipsw's but are just full of viruses etc. It also poses a somewhat grey area as far as piracy goes for distributing custom ipsw's. As such any one providing links or directions to them are breaking our forum rules.

Here's the link for the official 4.2.8 ipsw direct from apple...

iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw

Thanks a lot for the help. I will Download the stock ipsw and do it that way